1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My windows media player wont open for vista pls help!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Amir1992, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to fix the problem of windows media player not opening when you click it. it was working fine like 2 days ago and now suddenly it wont open!! help would be appreciated!! thx

2. myfavoritemartin

myfavoritemartin

Try opening it with "Run as administrator" - I know, it sucks, but it should work.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Why not just try System restore to a few days ago.
    Start, Programs Accessories, System Tools, System Restore

4. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help but it still doesnt work. Its getting very annoying!! Someone pls help!!

5. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

Oh yea when i click on the windows media player icon the blue circle comes on for like 3 seconds then it disappears. Even when i run as an administrator.(I tried windows restore but still doesn't work)

6. Jacee

Jacee

Type services.msc in the 'run' box, then click OK. When the services window opens, scroll down to see if Windows Media player is set to 'manual' or 'disabled'. You can change it by right clicking on the line and choosing "properties".

7. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but windows media player is not on the list.:(
    it only has windows media center services and extenders but no windows media player on its own.(none of them are disabled)

8. Jacee

Jacee

Which version of Vista do you have?

9. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

I have windows vista home premium.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you gone into Default programs in Control Panel and made certain Media Player is default player?
    We used to go into Add/Remove programs and remove the Windows feature then reboot and re check the feature toi reinstall. I don't see any way to do that anymore which I find surprising in light of the Microsoft court cases and decisions of a few years ago.
    You could however try downloading and installing the newest version here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.mspx

11. devil_himself

devil_himself

12. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies but it still doesnt work i tried what the both of u said. I cant install wmp because it says that i have a newer version on my comp. I looked at the faqs but it didnt help solve my problem.Someone pls help!!!:( ps (windows media player is already default player) Would it be like corrupted files possibly?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try repair of Vista by booting to Vista cd is the only thing left. If Media Player onboard is newer, then perhaps a Windows Update altered it.

14. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

Is it the cd which has been supplied to me when i bought my laptop?? because theres a cd where you can install vista. Do i lose my files and my genuine activation key or does it just reboot vista?

15. Amir1992

Amir1992 Thread Starter

oh yea one thing my mom subscribed to some online video streaming thing so if i reboot vista will wmp erase the drm rights for it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/624111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice