1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my windows vista is doomed

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jockdiesel, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jockdiesel

jockdiesel Thread Starter

Alright my windows vista dell inspiron 1521 has stopped working, it always boots to a blue screen saying "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer, plug and play detected an error most likely caused by a faulty driver" at the bottom it sas "technical information: *** stop 0x000000ca (0x00000001, 0x82d9ce30, 0x82f74898, 0x00000000)... in my opinion I think I caught a virus because I download movie torrents n such and may I've downloaded a bad file. Another problem is I made a windows vista installaion disk from another computer sintce kI lost the one and I tried startup repair but it says no problem could be detected, then I tried system restore and it didn't do much but say its going to restart me at an earlier point but after rebooting it all I get back to the same blue screen. Safe mode doesn't seem to be working either :(

Please help

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

You should be able to restore your computer to its original condition.I borrowed this piece of information from another forum "During boot up at the dell screen start tapping F8 should stop at a menu. look for utility partition or diagnostic partition on the list highlight it press enter from there you should get several options one should be dell factory restore press that and it will format everything and make it just how it was when it was shipped to you. Keep in mind if you have replaced the HDD or reinstalled windows in the past the utility partition may be gone."

3. jockdiesel

I tried doing the directory services restore mode (don't know if that's the same as dell factory restore) but all it did was take me to the same blue screen I mentioned in my first post.

Any other ideas?

4. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

I don't believe the dsrm is the same thing as the dell factory restore,I would try the latter if available.Blue screens can indicate hardware failure a factory restore that blue screened would confirm that.

5. jockdiesel

I ran the diagnostics and it says

Hard drive - dst short test
    Test results: fail
    error code 2000-0146
    Msg: unit 1 :dst log contains previous errors

But this dell factory restore is no where to be found :(

6. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Looks like you've solved the problem your self.Replace the hard drive and reinstall,you will of course need a vista cd the license key should be on a sticker underneath the computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice