1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My wireless adapter gets around 54 Mbps but it constantly drops to 5-18

Discussion in 'Networking' started by coldcore, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Hey im having some trouble with my wireless adapter. I know that it is not my routers problem since i have my xbox set up into it and i never get any kind of lag on it same if i hook a pc up to it. Problem is my wireless adapter that is new will start out in the 40-50s mbps. But after a few mins of useing my computer it will make a sudden drop down anywhere from 1-18 mbps. I am the only person useing internet in my household and i have a good internet plan with verizon. Usealy the only way to fix this is to pull out my wireless adapter for a few mins than put it back in. If not i have to just do something else for a few hours and it will go back up again. I am getting a decent signal strength so i really do not understand the problem. Also when my mbps drops down very low it will even go so far as not letting me browse the internet at all. It will say i am connected to local and internet like normal yet i wont beable to connect to anything and i will have to restart my connection again.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. coldcore

coldcore Thread Starter

Hey you where the one that helped me out before...i posted another thread where i was not connecting at all thanks for that help btw. lol Well yea now i ran into another problem here is the screenshot thanks for all the help.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have another strong network on the same channel. Try channel 1 or 11 for your router, that will probably work better.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice