1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My wireless antenna suddenly insists that my nonexistent ethernet cable is unplugged

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LoginToDownload, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoginToDownload

LoginToDownload Thread Starter

For the past year and a half, I've been using a Netgear N300 Wireless USB Adapter to connect my home-built computer (with Windows 7) to the wifi from the router on the floor directly below me, and it's worked just fine. But lately, for the past couple of weeks, often when I get up in the morning, my little networking icon in my system tray has insisted that there are no available connections, or that it can't find any because my ethernet cable is unplugged. I don't even HAVE an ethernet cable on this computer, and I haven't ever.

I have also noticed that it seems to have this problem during the daylight hours. No matter how many times I restart my computer or reset my adapter or physically go downstairs to make sure Dad hasn't bumped a wire, Dad's computer remains perfectly connected and functional while mine mostly just frustrates me. I get a pretty regular inflow of newsletters from various places, and when I wake up in the afternoon and my internet is down, my Gmail shows no new messages any later than 11 AM, and when my computer is magically able to detect a signal again and autoconnects, this magic seems to happen at around 10, 11 PM.

As an experiment, I plugged my old 2005 Presario (with WinXP) back in and hooked the adapter up to it, and it couldn't connect either. So I was sure it was the adapter so I went out and bought a new one, of the exact same model as my old one. And I'm still having this problem.

What is this and how do I make it stop?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8173 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 225746 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67 LE
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats an often provided notice when there a change in networking

can you isolate it to a specific time - it maybe the router has something setup to turn off at a certain time
    you say noone else has the issue during this time at all

can you have this running and lets see the graph when it disconnects
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx ( the site now appears to require a business email, so try the direct link below)
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres alternative links
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Monitor-Download-99109.html
    http://download.cnet.com/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector/3000-18508_4-75758254.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. LoginToDownload

When I woke up this morning (morning being 3PM because I work nights) my computer had disconnected and I couldn't figure out how to 'rewind' the Xirrus Wi-Fi inspector's graph to find the exact moment it happened. I was holding steady at around the -40 mark for the entire time I had at running. At the moment Xirrus is showing no network connections, but as you can see, my Dad's computer is plugged directly into the Linksys router and it works just fine.

Funny thing happened: I opened up the properties of his router. Firstly, it says he connects with Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter if that helps anything. Secondly, I noticed that in the Sharing tab, the little box marked "allow other users to connect through this user's internet connection" was unchecked. So I checked it, and then ran back upstairs. My computer still cannot connect, and when I came back downstairs, Firefox on Dad's computer could not find ANYTHING I tried typing in the address bar, until I unchecked that little box again. So not only can my computer not connect to anything, but opening dad's connection up (which auto-checked that "allow other users to control or disable this internet connection" box) killed HIS connection until I turned that choice back off.

Now downloading Xirrus on this computer. I would use a flash drive to move it from my computer to this one, but one of the USB ports on the front of my computer has developed a short that freezes the computer and I can never remember which one, so I try not to subject my computer to that.

I've been thinking, and before a 12-hour disconnect became a regular thing for my computer, there were a few nights and days where my connection would just drop for no reason but resetting my adapter would fix it. And then I finally got tired of the notifications and allowed the computer to download all the Microsoft Updates, and I did notice that that download completed before the internet died. Could one of those updates be responsible?

EDIT: Xirrus on my Dad's PC is not showing any connections like it did when I had it on my computer and my computer actually worked. Yet clearly I am connected. What the crap? Is it because this computer is plugged directly into the router?

4. LoginToDownload

Got off work and got home as soon as I could. Once again my computer has automatically reconnected, and I've attached my Xirrus screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if he is not using wireless , then xirrus will not work

possible issue - have you completed a windows update since OK

have you re-installed an updated driver - not just an update - but actually installed
    This showing asa different adapter on the xirrus

can we see an ipconfig /all

ipconfig /all

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

6. LoginToDownload

Since it's nighttime and thus my connection is working, here is my ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Brian-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless N-300 USB Adapter WNA3100
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-D3-6D-09-80-48
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8868:7f61:30e8:a359%16(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:28:04 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:21:32 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 367019674
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-6C-41-7A-6C-FD-B9-25-AD-25
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 67.216.112.253
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 14-DA-E9-F5-D6-35

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C1DE21E5-C09B-459C-B208-524332A24A9D}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{332E56E5-F9C2-4F8F-9EA8-15AEE93637B7}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Since Dad's machine controls the router, do I need to get you his ipconfig, too?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. LoginToDownload

I installed the software. No change. So now I will display my dad's ipconfig to see if there are any differences:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sherman-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-60-76-34-83-31

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-9E-33-96-69
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5c19:af23:8073:b18%10(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:43:00 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 14, 2013 8:41:05 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890910
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-2E-91-00-00-26-9E-33-96-69
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 67.216.112.253
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{DFB52854-1A96-41BA-BE75-C20F557B4315}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C8E15F36-B437-49E3-8F09-91FD6B334AB8}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Would you like me to try to get my ipconfig from my computer while the internet is not working?

9. LoginToDownload

Tonight when my internet magically starts working again, I will try another Windows update.

10. LoginToDownload

In the past twenty minutes, my internet came back, went out again five minutes later, came back again for about thirty seconds, and went out again. I tried resetting my adapter again but that time it said I needed to reset the router itself or at least make sure it was plugged in. Twenty seconds later, my internet came back on, and it seems to be holding on but I don't know for how long. So it's TRYING but there's some sort of interference or connectivity problem or something. If it was the router itself, then wouldn't Dad's computer be suffering spotty connections too?

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did the windows update all OK

so whats the situation now

have you tried a full powercycle

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.

12. LoginToDownload

For now it seems to be back to normal, but it's got me paranoid because it just HAPPENED. I got the windows updates, I updated my adapter, but for a good half-hour after that, it was still dead and then it just randomly started working again. I would really like to know what caused it so I can prevent it from happening again in the future.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes,
    we need to see if we can find the issue and reproduce the error

need to see if it happens at any particular times and if consistant - in case the router is switching off at a certain time - you can set that up in some routers

than an ipconfig /all and xirrus - when it disconnects to see if we can see any changes
    and also three ping tests

Ping Tests
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ): ​

In the command prompt window that opens

Type the following command
    Ping 192.168.1.1
    Post back the results in a reply here
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice