1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Wireless Connection is Turned OFF!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by takato_bam, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. takato_bam

takato_bam Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Laptop, Presario F500, and i've had it for approximately over 2 years... When i first got it of course everything worked and was fine. First and foremost, my problem is that my laptop will not register any wireless connections, and despite the wireless switch being turned on, instead of the color BLUE showing, indicating the laptop can connect wirelessly, (not a word lol) the actual color that is showing is AMBER despite my constant battles with it. Therefore, i cannot connect wirelessly to the internet. And my computer runs slow even though i've done a disk cleanup and a disk defrag. I have an external hard drive and i've taken almost everything off and put it on that, but that seemed to not do anything really. I called Microsoft to help and they knew the problem and how to fix it immediately!!! but at the end of saying all of that, they way talking about charging me $139.99.... I said < no thanks > . lol i previously had Norton Antivirus and all that good stuff. (Symantec and whatnot) but i took that off because of the subscription being expired, thinking that was part of the problem. And i installed McAfee. Idk if i should've did that or not but i did. but I'm looking for some more help and if anybody can find it in their heart to try and help me... Because i've been having this problem for over a year and have been trying to fix it myself. And i KNOW it's possible, but i just need some guidance is all... So if you know what to do, can u please contact me so we can figure this thing out?!?!? i'm willing to explain in further detail if what i described doesn't suffice. I greatly appreciate ALL (but accurate) IMPUT!!!!! THANK YOU!!!:)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What makes you think you have a virus/malware, rather than start there, we can look at the problem from a Networking issue first and then if we thionks its malware we can move back here for the gurus to review

I have also edited your post, as we are a family friendly website -

I will move and then post again with some ideas to try

Not sure why the poll, as people answer they will explain whats needed and if unclear as they go on, so closed the poll

3. sickcars

sickcars

If you hook up a network cable does the internet work? Have you gone into safe mode to see if the computer is any faster & if wireless works?

have you tried to fully reinstall windows (format/reinstall)?

If you have not done any of these, do it & report back.

4. takato_bam

i'mma try those three things right now.

5. valis

valis Moderator

think that's a bit much at this point.....but it may come in handy later. ;)

6. takato_bam

it works when i connect it to a network cable, but imma try the safe mode thing right now.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    some things to try

1)Make sure the wireless on the laptop is switched on - compaq have a physical switch on them to turn on/off - sometimes they use a key combination of Fn and one of the F keys - look for a symbol of a wireless

2) connect with a cable to the modem / router see if that works OK
    3) Use "safe mode with networking" as the machine starts up - tap F8 - you should get a menu and choose "safemode with networking"
    4) Its possible that the firewall is stopping access - for norton run this uninstaller - often norton does not uninstall properly and blocks access

Norton Removal Tool
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Post the following
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Xirrus} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice