1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my wireless speeds are the same as my wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by good821, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. good821

good821 Thread Starter

Hi
    i just did 2 speed tests 1 wired and 1 wireless. it is showing my result as the same on both how is this possible? i was always told wired is always faster than wireless. my isp is sky (UK) i am on there upto 20mb unlimited deal but was told i can only get 8mb but actually never see anything over 6mb. with sky there is no usage policy so i cant be getting capped right? so my question is! Is there something wrong with my connection or am i just being paranoid? i am proberly classed as a heavy user lots of DLs and plenty of Xbox Live & Ps3,

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi good821, and welcome to TSG.

If you are talking about a wired vs. wireless connection to your router or modem, the speed is being limited by your ADSL connection, not your wired or wireless network speed.

The maximum speed that you can achieve is dependent on the distance between your location and the phone company central office and the quality of the lines along that entire path.

You may want to check if Sky offers a lower speed service that more closely matches your actual speed and bandwidth needs. Otherwise, yo are paying for something you will probably never get.

3. good821

good821 Thread Starter

and also what does this actualy mean "the speed is being limited by your ADSL connection" im sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but is there anyway i can up the speed being limited by my ADSL?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Am I safe to assume that your Internet connection is through the same line that provides you with landline telephone service?

If that is correct, then you have Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) service for the high speed data (Internet communications) that is operated at frequencies higher than those used for voice potion of the line.

These high frequency signals can loose power and be subject to noise the further they have to travel and if they travel over aging phone lines. The 20 mb/sec speed may only be attainable at locations within a few thousand feet of the central office and running on newer lines.

Short of moving closer to the central office, you may be able to make a small speed increase by tweaking some settings on your computer. Here is a link to a 10 year old article on a site outside of TSG that discusses those tweaks.

Even if you somehow achieved the full 20 mb/sec maximum speed, this is still slower than a 100 mb/sec wired Ethernet connection or a 54 mb/sec 802.11g WiFi connection.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Summarizing Chuck's good information ...

A network is only as fast as its slowest link. If your internet access (between ISP and your modem) is 6 Mbps that is the most you can get between ISP and computer, no matter how the computer is connected to the modem.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Terry, thank you for the excellent summary.

Just realized I did not include the link. Not sure if I can find it again.

7. good821

good821 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's! guess im just stuck with what ive got for the moment as super fast broadband seems to just be a myth in my area :) and if you could dig up that link for me i would be greatful as i am loosing a couple of mb/s somewere and every little helps when on such a slow connection

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I could not find the page I had previously mentioned. I did find another one that may be of some assistance.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak.htm

DISCLAIMER: This is not an endorsement of the above web site by TSG or myself.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice