My Word files are locked for editing by me

hajduk

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20170408094425.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 3 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset, 1285 MB
Hard Drives: C: 746 GB (603 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0C27VV, ver A02, s/n CN1374008V03KK.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 15, s/n B8KBCP1
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I have several problems, most of which began suspiciously soon after support for Windows 7 was terminated. I shall begin with this one: I have two personae on my computer, one for ordinary use (I will call him 'Userguy') and the other to sign in as administrator (I will call him 'Honcho'). Nowadays if I work on a Word file and save it, and then the computer is turned off, the next morening I sign in as 'Userguy' and find that my file is 'locked for editing by Userguy', so I have to open a second copy, work on that, and save it under a new name. Then I can delete the first, locked account. But since I am signing under the same ''userguy' name, why does the computer not recognize me and let me open the locked files? I have not had this problem before; why now?

Hajduk

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you closing these Word files and exiting Word before shutting down the computer?

hajduk

I replied to the above but it seems to have gotten lost. I save the files, but sometimes Windows closes because of unsuccessful nocturnal attempts to install updates. Then I get the locked for editing message. But since it’s allegedly l.f.e. by Userguy and I sign in at bootup as Userguy, shouldn’t it give me access regardless?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Normally when one get restated while a file is open the temp files are still there and is what is locking you out.
Go to the folder that the files are in and look for any files that are not ones you saved.
Post a screen shot of them and we will be able to tell if they are temp or not.

hajduk

I am sure you are right about temp files buggering it up. But when I just go to that file in Word, I find only .docx files. I cannot sent a screen shot, because when I open the file in my screen shot programs I get a blank screen with the message "no files matched your search", and I don't know where to go from there. However, if I boot up in the morning when there has been a shutdown overnight Word gives me a menu that includes all temps. Many of them are autosaves. Then I have the ones that are "locked for editing" by me under the name with which I booted up. Why doesn't the bloody thing recognize that I am the one who supposedly has the file locked for editing? I usually choose the option of opening a copy of the "locked file," working on it, saving it under a slightly altered name when I have finished the session, and deleting the "locked file." But I shouldn't have to do that.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you using Windows Explorer to look for these temp files?
If not that is what you need to be using.
You will not see these temp files if you have Word open.

hajduk

No, where I see this is in the "Document Recovery" task pane. Windows Explorer does not see them, or at least does not display them.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Since you are using two different logins to access these files, what is the full path to these files?

I think that the problem you keep switching accounts and forcing the other account to access the files the next time.
Quick switching accounts, use ONLY one and close any files that are open and the exit Word.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To add to the troubleshooting: when you close Word, check Task Manager to ensure that it did close before shutting down/switching user.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When one uses "Switch User" all data that is in use by the current user is copied to the system drive. Then when the next user logs in, the data that was in use when they last did a switch user, is copied back to RAM.

I have seen time where the Data file of the switched users has not been cleared. One needs to go to each user account and "LOGOUT". This will clear (remove) any of this saved temp data. The use of switch user will at times prevent a system to shut down.

hajduk

I use one account only for things that need the honcho. My Word files do not, so I use only my everyday account for them. And I don’t use "Switch User" for the same reason. The Admin. account shouldn't be involved at all.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then I would say that since you are not closing the file and program, the systems thinks it is still in use.

Note: since the Admin account is no bearing on this problem, then why did you bring it in and talked about using it.

List the steps you take to shut down your system, when you are in a Word file?

hajduk

Hi Dave,

You mentioned two accounts and "switch user"; I thought you meant my everyday "identity" and my "honcho" identity; what else would "two accounts" mean? And that seemed confirmed when you mentioned "switch user", which comes up sometimes when I have to log in as one or the other and give the appropriate password; I don't ordinarily have occasion to use "switch accounts", but I do see the option.

Anyhow, your suggestion that the mouse might be causing the trouble caused me to get another mouse, and it does appear to have solved half of the problem. The weird shunting of the pointer off to the fonts menu in "Home" has stopped, but when the insert appears as cursor in the text, the cursor following it is still disabled until I bring the mouse point to it and click. I don't recall this happening with other computers and versions of Windows, it's a nuisance, and I don't know what causes it. Anyhow the cursor no longer goes to Fonts, and I thank you for suggesting the mouse as the villain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online