1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Word!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by janalynn, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janalynn

janalynn Thread Starter

I am ashamed to admit i have done some silly thing to my Word program and cannot find the right command to fix it. Somehow I have made it so that every space between words has a dot, every line space has a paragraph symbol, et al. It is very annoying and hard to read thru. When I print out the document these place symbols are not there. They are just on the screen.

How do I get the Word program reset to the normal way of text writing??

thank you very very much

Janalynn

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

CTRL+Shift+*

3. Cyps

Cyps

You will see a Paragraph icon on on the Toolbar. It looks like a mirrored capital P. Click on it to clear your text of all that stuff. Click on it again and all the stuff comes back. You get the idea?

4. letchworth

letchworth

I'm sure you get the point--- that's a "feature" in WORD (and most other word-processors). I forget what M$Word calls them- but many use terms like "View- Non-printing characters". These are characters used for formatting and tell you such things as, "There is a place-holder between letters"-- or, "A tab has been used instead of several letter place-holders." (You can't always tell the difference and when formatting is critical- the Non-Printing characters let you know exactly what is there).

good luck,
    letchworth

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

According to Help ("What's This?" style) it's the "Show All" button. The official name is "pilcrow" IIRC, CTRL+Shift+* is the equivalent keyboard shortcut to clicking it, and it's a toggle. I posted it cos I thought more recent versions of Office progs had a habit of hiding seldom-used stuff -- of course that could just be me talking rubbish. :D

6. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

lol, I had that problem ended up uninstalling then reinstalling Word

7. seamanken

seamanken

you have the show formatting button on simply Click on the backwards p on your toolbar should solve the problem

8. janalynn

janalynn Thread Starter

It took more than a minute, because I have a bilingual household and we run the Dutch version of Windows--and not all buttons/toggles/ dropdown menu's are as self explanatory as they are in English (at least to me.) After playing hide and seek for a bit I did find the big P and low and behold, the clutter in Word is gone!!! Thank you so very much! I knew it had to be some simple thing but sometimes running a bilingual rig is just THAT bit more complicated.

Dear Loony--I am so glad I did not have to reinstall or there would be a Looney II!:D

Thanks again all

J.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice