1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My XP Home User Account seems to have disappeared! help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pantart, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pantart

Pantart Thread Starter

Howdy All, first post.
    Okay, I was working on my computer and i logeed into my account, and it was taking forever, staying on the blue screen with the windows logo and all, when a little pop up popped up saying that i was out of space or something and that my account could not be opened. I got spooked, was stupid enough not to write the error down, then turned the computer off. When it restarted, i opened my account without a hitch, except for the slight problem that everything on my desktop and everything was gone. All of my files still exist and are accessible from the /documents and settings/steve/desktop folder. At first my new desktop was located in the c://documents and settings/TEMP/ folder, but then i had the "bright" idea of erasing everything in temp and seeing if it would revert to ...setting/steve. But it didnt. It just created a whole new account in the c://www.documents and settings/Steve.HP-ATHLON1600 folder.

So basically, how the heck do i restore a user account, and make my friggin computer stop building new ones?

And please, dont say that the only solution is to copy all the /steve files to the /Steve.HP-ATHLON1600 folder. my poor registry... my poor style XP settings!

ANY help is MUCH appreciated! im embarassed to even have to ask! thank you!

2. Pantart

Pantart Thread Starter

Oh, and i had plenty of space left. 1.2 gigs.

3. mysticaldawn

mysticaldawn

I am having the same exact problem that happened yesterday... anxiously seeking an answer also... I'll let you know what I find out :(

4. dai

dai

try a system restore to an earlier date

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice