my XP keeps rebooting over and over and I can't open windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helenegr

hi there, my mouse was moving around uncontrollably today so I shut down my computer using the main power button. When i turned my computer back on, it just keeps rebooting. I tried selecting the different options like start in safe mode, but it just keeps rebooting. I was able to press F8 during the rebooting process and was able to get a few other options such as disable automatic reboot, but that's as far as i get, i then select start in safe mode and I just end up back where i started. Is there anything i can do? I do have my Windows XP home edition disk, but when i insert it nothing happens. Can you help?

Probably some necessary operating system files that were still in RAM memory got deleted when you unplugged the computer.

Insert your XP disk in.
Restart the computer and when you see the first screen(probably manufacturer or motherboard or processor manufacturer logo) press delete.
The BIOS utility in blue screen will appear.
Go to the Boot tab and open the Boot Device Priority.
Select your CD/DVD drive as first boot device.
Save changes and the computer will automatically restart.
After it again starts you will see a white cursor over a black screen blinking at the top left corner.
It will say booting from CD drive and the XP setup will start.

Now if you have the recovery disk try this.
When the setup completes loading all the hardwares(see at the bottom-grey part) it will ask you to press three function keys for three setups. When you see the automated recovery function(probably F8 or F4-please check),quickly press the corresponding function key and you will enter the system recovery screen. Follow the instructions there.

If you do not have the recovery disk, you will have to format your hard drives and install a fresh copy of XP.
To do that restart your computer, let the setup load all components and you will see the list of partitions. Follow the instructions there.

helenegr

I don't think I have that boot tab - after clicking on delete, i get the blue screen but my options in the main screen area are
Standard CMOS features
Advanced BIOS features
Integrated Peripherals
Power Management Setup
HW Monitor
Green Power
Cell Menu
and M Flash

and if i select the Advanced BIOS features, I get a new screen where my options are
Flash Write Protection (set to disabled)
Full Screen Logo Display (set to enabled)
Quick booting (set to enabled)
Boot Up Num-Lock LED (set to on)
IOAPIC function (set to enabled)
MPS table version (set to 1.4)
Primary Graphics Adapter (set to PCI-E)
PCI Latency Timer (set to 64) and with 3 options: CPU feature, Chip Set feature or Boot Sequence

Am i getting the right screen?

helenegr

Go back into the F8 menu and try the 'Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)' option.

If that doesn't work look under Boot Sequence in the Bios and make the CD/DVD first then follow the steps here under 'Reinstalling Windows XP non-destructively' :-
https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html
thanks for your response! The "last known good configuration" didn't work and I'm not able to find what i believe is my CD/DVD under the Boot Sequence. When I select boot sequence, it shows me 1st Root devices to the 9th root device
for the 1st Root device - the setting is (SATA: 3M-WDC WD)
for the 2nd to the 6th Root device - the setting is the same (USB: Generic ST 2-6)
the 7th Root device is set at (HDD: PM-WDC WD8)
the 8th Root device is set as (CD/DVD: 4M-HL-D) - if i select this option it just lists the same options as here
the 9th Root device is set as (HDD: PS-WDL WD8)
and Boot from other Device is set to (YES) - can only be changed to yes or no
Probably some necessary operating system files that were still in RAM memory got deleted when you unplugged the computer.

Insert your XP disk in.
Restart the computer and when you see the first screen(probably manufacturer or motherboard or processor manufacturer logo) press delete.
After it again starts you will see a white cursor over a black screen blinking at the top left corner.

When the setup completes loading all the hardwares(see at the bottom-grey part) it will ask you to press three function keys for three setups. When you see the automated recovery function(probably F8 or F4-please check),quickly press the corresponding function key and you will enter the system recovery screen. Follow the instructions there.

If you do not have the recovery disk, you will have to format your hard drives and install a fresh copy of XP.
To do that restart your computer, let the setup load all components and you will see the list of partitions. Follow the instructions there.

helenegr

Insert your XP disk in.

Hi again - i was able to go to boot sequence and change the 1st Root Device that was set to (SATA: 3M-WDC WD) to the (CD/DVD: 4M-HL-D) setting and the black screen came up with the message " Press any key to boot from CD" but this was then followed by "NTLDR is missing" followed by "Press Ctr + Alt + Del to restart"

Could there be something wrong with my CD - it was the one that came with my computer, and I've never used it?
Thanks again!

managed

Allan
When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message first appears press the space bar (in fact any key should work) and it should continue with the install/repair sequence.

helenegr

Go back into the F8 menu and try the 'Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)' option.

If that doesn't work look under Boot Sequence in the Bios and make the CD/DVD first then follow the steps here under 'Reinstalling Windows XP non-destructively' :-
https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

Insert your XP disk in.

When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message first appears press the space bar (in fact any key should work) and it should continue with the install/repair sequence.

It worked and I got as far as the black screen Recovery Console and selecting my drive, but then it asks me for an administrator password and as far as I know, there isn't one, and ideas?

Did you give any administrator password when you first installed the os. If yes give that one. I remember(it has been a long time since I used XP) that during installation of XP the setup requires a mandatory administrator password to complete.
If you forgot the password ask a moderator to look into your problem. There are ways to break the administrator password but divulging them are against the forum rules. I do not know that if your problem will be taken as a "special case".
Generally the forum do not help in password-related issues.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, it might be from window 98SE. If there is no password set you can use the password administrator to get in.

managed

Allan
You don't need to enter a password to do the repair install.

Did you press R instead of Enter at the first screen asking you to choose ? If so you have gone into the Recovery Console rather starting a repair install, see the first screenshot at my link in post #4 to confirm this.

Also unless you want to quote a previous reply don't click on Reply just type your message into the Quick reply box at the bottom of the screen.

helenegr

SUCCESS!!! Thank you so much for your help! I followed the instructions for the Recovery Console and then just had to go back tot he BIOS and change back the Boot Sequence so that it didn't keep trying to reboot from my disk and it started up perfectly!

I know my XP's on it's way out but at least now I can take what I need from it!
Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online