my XP keeps shutting off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cookiemonsterman

im on another computer right now. But when i boot up the computer. It lets me log in and ill be at the main screen where my icons are.

Then after 2 minutes it always shuts down.

If i dont log in and stay at the name menu screen it will still shut down after 2 min.

The screen goes black and thats it. I cant see anything anymore. The power on the computer remains on though, cause the green power light is still on.

I tried to do a quick virus scan but 2 min isnt enough time to do it. What can i do?

Why is it shutting off? :(

Hi piper118,

Might give this a try. Right click a clear spot on your desktop & click on properties. Click on the screensaver tab & then power, in the lower right corner. Check the amount of time before your monitor shuts off. It should be about 20 minutes.

Another possibility is the following. You may be encountering a feature of Windows XP's Startup and Recovery system. By default, this system specifically configures Windows XP to automatically restart itself after encountering a system failure error.

These system failure errors are usually isolated and occur randomly. As such, the best way for the operating system to deal with them is to automatically restart.
However, you can disable the automatic restart behavior. Follow these steps:

Go to Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup&Recovery(Settings).
In the System Failure section, deselect the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.
This change configures the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You will then have to manually restart the system. If you see an error, write it down & post in your next reply.

Keep in mind that you will have to work fast in order to make the change before the system reboots. You may have better luck making the change if you launch the system in Safe Mode. The following link will show you how to access safe mode depending on your O/S. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

Once your system is back to normal, you can enable the Startup and Recovery system.

Regards,

Hawk

cookiemonsterman

hi Hawk1.

First of all i want to say thanks for taking some time to help me with this question.

Seconds, i checked the screensaver setting, and they were all at 1 hour. Which i said to before, and i put to never shut off the harddrive before.

In the System Failure section, I deselected the Automatically Restart check box like you said. However this came up

im not sure where the adminstrator tools are because when i checked i couldnt find them in the start program. After 2 min it shut down again.

I tried this again and just hit restart and click OK to that warning and it would shut down again after 2min. Is there something in this error message that would be important in this? and if so where is it. :(

thanks again hawk for listening and to anyone else that can help. (y)

Hi piper118,

To access Services, go to Start/Control Pane & at the top you will see Administrative Tools. Double click it & you will see Services. Do the same with Servces & you will see Alterter at the top.

I neglected to ask but are you running A Desktop or Laptop? If it is a laptop, it may be a power option as it appears only your monitor is shutting down.

Let us know please.

Regards,

Hawk

cookiemonsterman

thanks for the response, its a personal computer, not a laptop.

Im gonna try what u said right now. Thank you.

cookiemonsterman

hmm i tried what u said, and it still shuts off.

And the odd thing is that there is no actual time when the computer shuts off. Sometimes it shuts off 4 minutes, sometimes 2, sometimes in 1. Perhaps its a hardware problem?

Because the computer can always log in. It shuts off, and then i cant rehit the power button to restart it. I manually go to the back of the PC and hit off and then on again. Then when i hit the "turn on" button in the front, the computer then starts up. It will always let me get to the log on screen. And then the time it takes to shut off after that varies. So this is an odd problem.

Thanks for all your help by the way. Much appreciated.

Is there any way to correct this? or should i take to a computer technician to see if this is a computer problem? :confused:

Ok, piper118. Let's try a little different approach.

Would you try to run the following "Diagnostic Test"? No personal information is collected in the test & ActiveX is used much the same as at Windows Update. It will provide data about your computer that may assist in solving the problem.

If you are running XP w/SP2, please allow the ActiveX download. Following is the URL to the test site:
http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Enter you email address & a password so that you can save the test results or run a new test in the future. Each time you run a new test you will have to allow the download of the ActiveX utility.

At the end of the test, you will be on the "Summary Page". In the upper right corner, you will see "TechExpress". Click on it & you will see a URL starting with http and ending in 16 digits. Highlight the URL & "Copy". Paste the link in you next post.

Regards,

Hawk

cookiemonsterman

thanks again hawk for taking the time out to reply.

Some good news, i fixed the problem.

I tried to get on the site you told me about, but the computer just kept shutting off.

I went to check the plugs and i smelled like something was burned out. So i decided to take it to the computer shop and they told me that it was the power supply that was the problem. They replaced it for 30 bucks and now it works totally perfect again.

thanks for your help hawk! :D :D

Yup, that would have done it.:D

Happy you got it fixed Piper.

Regards,

Hawk

I tried the suggestion listed above and my pc continued shutting off. I am running win xp media center. Every time my pc boots up it comes up to the desktop w/icons & task bar but then after 1.5 min pc shuts down and restarts. I tried to boot from win xp cd and hit(r) but I got this error message...A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the stop message,disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updated. try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as chachingor shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF76440BF, 0xF7A90208, 0xF7A8ff08)

*** pci.sys - Address F76440BF base at F763D000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

I tried going to my computer and hitting explore, folder options etc to check boot.ini and this is what i got (boot loader)
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\window s

(operating systems)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="windows xp media center edition" /r.

I can boot system in safe mode. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, bigbob5678

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online