My XP Pro Computer won't load- Please Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Physique

Banned
For about a month now it has been taking my XP Pro (AMD Athalon) computer a longer than usual time to load. I tried to fix the problem using Virus and Spyware scans but had no success. I decided just to leave it as the computer was working fine when it eventually loaded up.

Yesterday I was on the computer and the screen froze out of nowhere, which has never happened before. I had to push the reset button on my tower and ever since then it hasn't been loading up. When I turn it on, it stops at "Detecting IDE Drives...". It is not detecting any IDE drive (whatever they are).

I can't enter the computer, I can't run it in safemode, however I am able to open the set-up menu by pressing the delete button before it starts to detect the IDE drives. If anyone knows what the setup options should be set to please post them as i am completely "novice" in this kind of thing.
The computer is only about a 1.5 years old.

Thanks to anyone who can help rectify this problem.

Ok, first we need to make sure your hard drive is OK.

Sadly, if the BIOS messages don't make it past "Detecting IDE drives" something is really wrong.

Open the computer and disconnect any CD-ROM drives, (unplug the big flat cable from them, but make sure you write down how they were connected) so you only have the hard drive hooked up. Also reseat the hard drive connections. See if it boots now.

-nt20

First of all you have a crap amd chip which i hate can you tell? lol

well man this is a common problem id try a new processor first if you can get your hands on a friends or something or maybe someone will let you borrow it. but truly sounds like a mobo problem. Can you get into setup? is it fast or slow? setup should be fairly quick. Maybe you should reset cmos with the jumpers on your motherboard

Physique

Banned
Sorry, I have no idea what you all are saying. I am not the best computer wiz.
How much do you think this will cost to fix????

Thanks

Physique

Banned
I have 2 hard drives, one new and one carried on from my old computer. It was the old hard drive which was causing problems, i took it to a PC shop, all the guy did was unplug it and it is working now fine.

I can live with just one hard drive

They guy did it without charge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online