My XP Pro Does Not Remember View Settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Steve-x8086

Steve
Hi. I have searched all over the internet for an answer to no avail. My XP Pro does not remember the View settings when you close a folder. This also includes the Screen Size and other settings. At one time I updated to the most current SP-3 and that is when it stopped working.

I looked at a post here for a similar problem but the link to a fix didn't load, bad address.

I did see that the Shell Bag file was increased to 5000 for SP-2 and somewhere think I saw that it changed back when you updated to SP-3.

This problem has been haunting me for a few years.

Please Please help me figure it out.

XP Professional, SP-3 and latest updates, 3.2 Geg, 4 mb Ram
Few programs running at all. I load them when I use them.
I can post my Hijack but it doesn't show the problem.

Steve-x8086

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Have you tried increasing it to 8000?

Here's a .reg file that will do it for you.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

Steve-x8086

Steve
Well, the link worked just as it should ... but, the View settings still do not work.

When you close the folder, it goes back to the Details view and a smaller size window. Yes, you can change it in the folder window but it doesn't stick when you close it.

Something seems to be missing.

Steve-x8086

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
You've probably already done that, but just to make sure, open your Folder Options and select the View tab. Make sure "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

Steve-x8086

Steve
Yes Phantom010, I already did that in the Folders folder. I have checked, unchecked and rechecked, not booting and rebooting but no success. I even did that in the View link in the folders.

I still remember something I came across that said something about when you upgraded to SP-3 it reset something that controls the View and Folder size back to SP-1 but caused problems. But that was years ago.

Hmmm

Steve-x8086

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste the following command:

Code:
regedit /e C:\look.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"
Press Enter.

You won't notice anything. However, it will have created a report on your C drive named look. Attach that file to your next reply.

Steve-x8086

Steve
Following it the Log file you ask for. Sorry about the editing.
Steve-x8086

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"HidNoChangingWallPaperden"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff
"NoDesktop"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Thank you for the log.

Unfortunately, it's not showing anything that could help us.

Steve-x8086

Steve
Yes, I Tried the automatic fix it. Out of curiosity, shouldn't the 00000's be 8000?
Below is the error that I get when I run the Fix If program.
Thanks, Steve-x8086

Attachments

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
If you're referring to the values in post #7, they have nothing to do with BagMRU size. It's a completely unrelated registry key.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

In the right pane, double-click Default and delete the 5000.

Then, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

In the right pane, double-click Default and change the 5000 to %computername%.

If Windows doesn't accept %computername%, find your computer's name and replace that value.

How to Find Computer Name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online