1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mysql 5.0 0n Windows 98 S.E?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by howard.a.s, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

I have been following the tutorial below in order to install mysql 5.0 onto a machine running Windows XP S.P 2.

The installation goes exactly as described, with no problems.

http://www.festerhead.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=118

I also want to install the same software onto another machine running Windows 98 S.E, and all seems to go as described until I reach step 18 of the tutorial, at which point the option to 'install as windows service' is not available. When I reach step 19, there are no options to include security settings or passwords.

The installation completes at stage 22 by saying that it was a success.

However, in view of the differences during installation, will this installation actually work the same as my XP installation?

Should I upgarde my O/S on the 98 machine, or is this really necessary?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

2. jdean

jdean

You haven't provided any information about what you're trying to do on the machine (other than run MySQL) but nonetheless I would highly recommend updating the machine to a newer operating system.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows 98 simply isn't supported. Windows 98 doesn't have services, and there is no built-in security functionality.

From the MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual:
    " To run MySQL on Windows, you need the following:
    A Windows operating system such as 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows Server 2003. Only 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 2000 and later are supported; however, 64-bit Windows Vista is not yet supported. Windows 95/98/ME and versions of Windows older than these are no longer supported. "

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice