1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MySql Server:? <--- what do I input here?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by NewTechGuy, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NewTechGuy

NewTechGuy Thread Starter

I'm filling out some forms so that I can install a blog on my site and I am wondering what am I supposed to put into the field for MySql Server:

What I need is an example of what should go in there becuase I don't know what anything means.

So if (for example)... if I was told by someone to put in the "php querey script control code" (<---- yeah okay so I KNOW this is gibberish and means nothing) then I would have no idea what to put in there.

If someone could actually post an example of what I should put in there then I could look for something that LOOKS the same as the example. Also, when I look for this information where should I be looking for it? Should I look in the cPanel under General account information:?

I'm a novice at this and I do appreciate any assistance, THANKS A MILLION!!!

Newtechguy <--- see, even my name says I'm a novice.....lol....

2. Rockn

Rockn

MySQL server is the database that is running as the back end that will hold the data for your BLOG. If your host also hosts the MySQL database you need to set that up prior to doing anything else.

3. NewTechGuy

4. Rockn

Rockn

What did you name the instance of your databse when you created the database? That is the name you need to enter.

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Your MySQL Server should most likely be set to "localhost"

6. Sequal7

Sequal7

If you have a hosting provider, which the whois for the url suggests you do, then you can use thier MYSql database host IP address.

Most Providers will host on the same server as your website, so localhost would work, however some use dedicated servers for Databases, and the Ip would therfore be different, that is what you would put into the form. You can see your database IP by going to PHPMyadmin in Cpanel.

The form area for MySQL database is the database IP or you can try localhost
    Uhe MySQL username is the username you used when creating the database,
    The MySQL password is the database password, again at time of creation.
    The MySQL database name is the name of the database you created.

7. NewTechGuy

Thanks to all who responded but a BIG thank you goes out to to both brendandonhu and Sequal7! Both of you provided the EXACT response I requested. You gave me an example of what I should put in there, and when I went and looked.....localhost was it. So, I put it into the form, then clicked install.....and VOILA! Success.... thank you.....thank you......thank you.........

That is all that I needed was an example of what I should fill in the form field with. Turns out it was the RIGHT entry. If it wasn't, at least your examples would have allowed me to look for another name that my hosting provider may have been using.

I'm having a great day now.......lol....thanks again.

Newtechguy <--- even my name suggests I'm new at this......lol

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice