1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MySQL???

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Mike PC, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike PC

Mike PC Thread Starter

Hi somebody ou there could probably help me. I have free webhosting which enables MySQL databases. These sound like extremely useful things but how do I use them?? WHAT DO THEY DO?? If someone could help on this matter i would be extremely grateful

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

MySQL is an open source Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) that many applications use, from message forums (like this one) to content management systems (CMS) to some mail servers and so on.

Having access to MySQL means you can install or use a web application that requires MySQL to function. :)

Peace...

3. Mike PC

Mike PC Thread Starter

Can you build programs that require a mySQL database.

How does the mySQL databases work.
    Can you provide me with a tutorial

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Yep, so could you. :)

MySQL functions like any other RDBMS out there, like Oracle, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL, and so on. If you read the Wikipedia article I posted the link to above, you can get great info on DBMS and how the relational part fits in. MySQL will do the things described in that (and related) article.

Better yet, you can get info on MySQL from the horses mouth. :)

If you need info on RDBMS in general, I would get a book (possibly a "dummies" book) to come up to speed.

There are various other introductory tutorials out there, like this one.

Peace...

5. Mike PC

Mike PC Thread Starter

many thanks tomdkat. Now i know of a great programming tutorial website. Now i can use mySQL

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!