Mysterious Frequent Reboots

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BratDawg

Carla
My saga....

Win98se machine started frequently rebooting & giving out of memory errors for no good reason. Scans came up clean for viruses & spyware.

Purchased and installed on c: partition with quick ntfs format windows xp pro.

Machine was still rebooting for no reason. I replaced the power supply. Oh, yeah - all fans were working as they should be so I don't think it's a heat problem.

Someone suggested that Norton Internet Security 2004 might be causing problems - I had been installing it right after running all the current MS updates to xp, incl. sp2.

I reinstalled xp pro with the quick format option and ran it for a day with no reboots before running any windows updates. Did NOT install norton - installed avg for the moment.

It's rebooting again. At this point, I've ruled out power supply, viruses, spyware. I'm also not overloading with tasks, because there seems to be no correlation with what I'm running and the rebooting.

Someone said that you can turn off individual ms updates even tho you've installed them. Even if I could find a list, which I can't, how would I know which ones to try turning off?

I'm at the point where I have to fix it or chuck it and get a new one. This one is at work and I can't risk the data by having the machine rebooting all the time like that. Any suggestions? It's an older system with an amd slot processor.

Thanks.

blues_harp28

Hi..did you check your 98se could take an update?
Minimum needed..256 Ram...700-800mhz processor speed..

BratDawg

Carla
Thanks. I didn't do an update. I formatted the c: partition to ntfs wiping it and installed an oem full version of xp pro. The processor is an intel celeron 1.2ghz, soyo syt1su mboard, 512mb sd p133 ram. I built it in Jan 2003, but couldn't tell you more than that about age of board or anything. I bought it right about the time I built the machine tho.

I was having problems when running win98se too. Wish there was a magic way to determine mechanical vs. software. :(

BratDawg said:
My saga....

Win98se machine started frequently rebooting & giving out of memory errors for no good reason. Scans came up clean for viruses & spyware.

Purchased and installed on c: partition with quick ntfs format windows xp pro.

Machine was still rebooting for no reason. I replaced the power supply. Oh, yeah - all fans were working as they should be so I don't think it's a heat problem.

Someone suggested that Norton Internet Security 2004 might be causing problems - I had been installing it right after running all the current MS updates to xp, incl. sp2.

I reinstalled xp pro with the quick format option and ran it for a day with no reboots before running any windows updates. Did NOT install norton - installed avg for the moment.

It's rebooting again. At this point, I've ruled out power supply, viruses, spyware. I'm also not overloading with tasks, because there seems to be no correlation with what I'm running and the rebooting.

Someone said that you can turn off individual ms updates even tho you've installed them. Even if I could find a list, which I can't, how would I know which ones to try turning off?

I'm at the point where I have to fix it or chuck it and get a new one. This one is at work and I can't risk the data by having the machine rebooting all the time like that. Any suggestions? It's an older system with an amd slot processor.

Thanks.
check the motherboard if there are any bloated capacitors..all capacitors should be flat on top...if its bloated it could mean your mobo is dying...restarts and eventually not even POST will happen if that is the case

BratDawg

Carla
Bloated capaciters?! I TOLD my pc to quit drinking milk! Do you think it listens?

Thanks for the info, tho. I'll pull it apart and look at it. I didn't know there would possibly be a visible sign that the mb was dying. I've about decided that it would make a fine play station here in the office - where it won't matter too much if it reboots. When the wee folk invade it will keep them busy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online