1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mysterious hardware

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chredge, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

Whenever I start my PC a message appears telling me that some new hardware has been found and do I want to install the drivers for it.

I recently had to reformat my PC because of a problem I had and I'm unsure what hardware I have in it that requires a driver.

When I go to the Device Manager list I can see that there is a 'other devices/multimedia controller' with a question mark next to it.

How would I find out what this device is?

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Right click the yellow ? item in Device Manager, click Properties, then the Details tab. Under "Device Instance Id" you should see a text string like PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3065 (the rest of the string is not usually relevant to finding a driver).

Then on this website: http://www.pcidatabase.com (or a similar one) enter the vendor and device numbers. That should tell you what hardware you have. From there we can help you find a driver for it.

3. alisongrey

alisongrey Banned

I used to have this problem all the time after I'd installed a webcam, and it would try to search out new drivers for it every time I booted Windows. Despite that, the cam still worked perfectly fine so it was a bit confusing.

Do what Frank posted to find the device that its related to, but you might find that it isn't something that's affecting anything you need to do on your computer. Still might be worth installing the drivers just to get rid of the annoying popups though, they got on my nerves after a while.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!