1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mysterious line appears in Word doc

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by americamba, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM.

Advertisement
  1. americamba

americamba Thread Starter

I can't get rid of a short (1/4 inch or so) line in the space between lines of text in Word. See screen shot between third and fourth line under the word "the". It is always in that position on the page. If I delete part of the text, the line is seen under the words that are in that same spot on the page.

I delete everything and then type it back but the line shows up. I copy to a text file and then paste it in but the line shows up. I am stumped. Hope you can help and thanks! Frank

upload_2017-4-19_19-3-37.png

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Try attaching a document, with just this one paragraph in it so we can have a go with the file?

4. americamba

Taks, here goes. I have attached it as a Word doc

5. DaveA

OK, I played with it.
    Put your curser at the end of the line above it. Then hit the enter key a couple of times.
    Then place the curser at the center of this line, you may need to move it a bit, until you get what it looks like in the image below.
    Once you get it selected, you can delete by using the delete key. Now you can delete the add enter key entries.

upload_2017-4-20_7-51-25.png

6. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Or if you can't hit it with mouse, execute this command from the Immediate window of VB Editor:

Code:
    ActiveDocument.Shapes("Freeform 32").Delete

7. TonyB25

TonyB25

I opened it in Google Docs, and it's a drawing line. Can you click on it and delete it?

8. americamba

Excuse my ignorance. How do I access the VB editor? is it dangerous for old farts? I have Windows 10, Word 2013.

thanks, Frank

9. americamba

I tried this. I'm encouraged that you got rid of it. I hop I can do the same. What is "this line" you refer to? thanks, Frank

10. DaveA

All I could find once selected it is a "Object", but what kind I do not know.
    But now that I read the other replies, I see that it is a drawn line using the art tool.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM
  11. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Jim It's My Birthday!

What version of word are you using? Yes looks like a drawing object.
    Can you get the cursor to change as you hover over the object

12. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Jim It's My Birthday!

then right click on it to show properties

13. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

You can access VB Editor by pressing ALT+F11. The editor window is divided into several parts, one of them is the Immediate Window. It should be at the bottom middle of the screen. If it is now shown, then the View / Immediate Window menu command (or pressing Ctrl+G) should make it visible. Copy the code to this window, then press ENTER at the end of the code line.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188725