1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mysterious mail sending

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by terryxp, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Hello... When I started up MS Outlook the other day, I had a return mail error. Said the mail I sent, the address could not be found? Thing is, I never sent the mail. Was to some guy at charter.net, with the subject line SOS!!
    WTF?? I am virus free according to Norton. I suppose it could be some fluke routing error by either ISP, but its just weird... Any thoughts?

2. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

I noticed a few of those lately too....only in my case the "from" address that I ( supposedly) sent it from is a "forwarding" address I use. You can't originate mail from that address as far as I know. Next time I guess I'll look over the properties of the message and see if I can get any clues....?

3. Del

Del

Could you have tried to unsubscribe from some mailing list?
    I tried to unsubscribe from one yesterday and have been getting error messages a few time today that the email address was not valid.

4. bandit429

bandit429

Hello,
    We need to look at your startups,, go to the link I posted at the bottom of this page and download then run the startup list program. Paste the generated text file here so we can look at it.

Click here

5. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Hey bandit, already did that... nothing suspicious as I could tell... check it out

Attached Files:

6. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Count me in on this one too, terryxp. Opened my outlook mail tonight, and had 2 of these. With attachments. I'm only assuming virus, as I just deleted them. I'n not in any mood to find out the hard way that they were viruses! I did look at the headers on one of them, though. And it was returned from the mail server at adobe.com. Kind of strange.
    JustMe2

7. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Funny thing... TweakXP Pro, deletes charter.net sites with tweaks ad blocker feature. Must be something up with charter to make them add them to there list of sites to close with ad/pop-up blocker...

8. bandit429

bandit429

Well i was looking for a virus but I did'nt see it. My eyes are crossed now, its a hard startup to look at.

I can see that you run housecall,, Have you done that lately? Just because I did'nt see it does'nt mean its not there. I have seen so many Yaha virus's,,that i thought thats what might be wrong, not so sure now, thats the only idea I had.

Editted: You might try a file search for msinstall61.exe. Thats another one thats hard to find.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice