1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mysterious modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JKram, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKram

JKram Thread Starter

just reformatted hard drive and reinstalled Win98.

got latest drivers for my modem, attempted to install them, says its putting my modem on "com 4" but i am not getting a dial tone. I am plugged into the correct opening on the modem, phone line has good dial tone.

have removed modem and restarted, shut down and installed modem with reboot, went through detection of new hardware, etc...

norton system works tests, finds modem on "com4" but cant find dial tone.

WHAT simple thing am I over looking... really, its got to be something silly!!

Thanks in advance....

2. hw45

hw45

Maybe your modem is not compatible with Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). Turn off that function in your BIOS and try again.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) boot into safe mode and remove ALL entries under modem, any wave devices, etc in device manager.

2) remove all com ports while you are there.

3) reboot and let it detect modem/ ports, etc

4) reinstall drivers

5) reboot again and test.

If it still doesnt work, you may want to go back to a previous driver version or try downloading the drivers from a different source..they may be corrupt.

4. waltj2

waltj2

Hello!!

I had the same exact problem w/ my modems on several reformatted HDs w/ Win 98 SE. After several uninstalls & removals & reinstalls Win 98 got it right. 2 differences tho: 1. I didnt have Norton or any Virus Protection loaded yet. 2. I loaded the original (disc) driver first, then Updated the driver.
    As I have several OSs on the same discs (2000Pro, 2000 Server, XP Pro), these OSs had no problems installing the driver correctly the first time, even using different COMs & Ports.

Walt

5. JKram

JKram Thread Starter

Ok, still having trouble getting modem to work on my computer.

Just reformatted and installed WIN98, downloaded most recent drivers for my modem. System Recognizes the modem, lets me install the drivers, but for the life of me cannot find a dial tone when i try to connect.

in properties for my modem, its says its been placed on "com4" and yet in my device manager...i only show "com1" and "com2" and a printer port.

Have checked phone line, dialtone is there... What steps am I missing with this thing?

Oh, and the system when booted up says its found an audio device "CMI8330" and tries to install it like 4 TIMES!! Dont think that has any bearing on the modem though

Any help is appreciated, will consider the sledge hammer approach if all else fails.

PS.. its not THIS computer i cant get the modem to work on, its another STAND alone.

6. waltj2

waltj2

Hello

Based on your posts, you have a DSI modem from Digcom Systems (Same one I have). The CMI8738 is the adudio for the modem. Win98SE (or the software on the original driver disc) uses COM 4, XP & 2000 use COM3. These COM ports do not show up in COM/Ports in Device Manager.

Try these steps:
    1. thru control panel-modems, delete (remove) the modem. Check in Device Manager for any installed Modems. If a window pops up saying Detected New Hardware or Looking for driver, click cancel.

2. Shut down the computer & physically remove the modem.

3.Power up the computer & let it run for a few minutes. Now shut it down & reinstall the modem, but try a different PCI slot if possible.

4.Power up the unit, & when windows says Found new Hardware, Ckick cancel!!

5.Put in the driver disc that came with the modem, and run the bitware program on it. This will install the old, original driver, along with CMI for the audio. (Windows willcome up & say Found new Hardware. Now you can let it do its job)

5.Check the modem & its properties & that it works.

6.If all is ok, update the driver thru device manager by directing it to the disc w/ the updated driver, or thru windows update.

Hope this helps.

Walt

7. waltj2

waltj2

A few suggestions/comments.

1. When you fdisked/reformatted the HD, was the modem still installed, or did you remove it? (It should have been removed)

2.Is it in the same PCI slot, or a different one. Plug & Play is actually Plug & Pray (you put the hardware in the correct PCI slot!!)

3.It worked before,right?

4.Depending on the age of the modem, it is possible that a soldered connection has come loose, or a component on the board has died. ( I have a NEW AMR modem that had a loose solder connection & a bad component that only a PCB tech could find)

5. If you do fdisk/reformat again, only have the bare minimum of hardware connected (Floppy, HD, CDRom, and video (on board if possible)) All else is not necessary at this point.

6.If you have the original CD disc w/drivers, load that first, check the modem, then update the driver thru either Windows update or direct it to the correct disk.

7. Now, if ll is well, load hardware/programs one at a time. Check the modem after each install, & if you get a problem/conflict, remove that hardware/programbefore going any further.

Keep us posted & Good Luck!!

(I've crashed my share of units & learned the hard way!!!)

Walt

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice