Mysterious ntdll.dll ......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maestro99

First of all GREAT SITE!!!!

First post :) .

I'm trying to install a software and an error message appears after the installation:

Error
Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version file "ntdll.dll", function "NtQuerySystemInformation" (error 127).

I've contacted the software's tech support concerning the error message and their respone:
"Concerning the error message, this message can only appear if the Windows (ntdll.dll) file is old." [Unfortunately, they only had ntdll.dll for Windows XP and not for Windows 98.]

Where can I get a new version of ntdll.dll for Windows 98? I've tried looking at a few dll download sites but they don't specify which OS.:(

I've contacted Microsoft but they informed me that they do not support Windows 98 any longer - only updates until June/06.

Any suggestions?

Maestro99

I think I posted this in the wrong thread, but it's Windows 98 related ntdll.dll.

I unzipped the ntdll.dll and I noticed that the dll file is exactly the same as the original dll file in Windows 98. I went ahead and tried it, and the same error message appeared after the installation of the software. [This dll file is good for those who have a corrupt or missing ntdll, but in my case, I need a new ntdll.dll ???? - that's what tech support said, "Old version."]

I have no clue what this new ntdll.dll is. That's why I used the word "mysterious" :confused: .

By the way, when I installed the software for the first time and the error message appeared, I thought it's probably because the software doesn't support Windows 98 platform, but it does - Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000, 2003 and XP.

The software is called Memory Washer v4.2 by Right Utilities. If anybody has the software running on Windows 98, I need answers.

.....or any suggestions.

And you have tried the XP version of the dll with no sucess either?

Often a dll file is backwards compatable, just new entry points are created.

On a more global view however most of these "memory management" programs are less than useful. The resources they use may exceed any that they free.

Nothing on their website indicates the Windows version, and the screen shots are plainly from XP (which is highly unlikely to benefit from such a program in my opinion)

Maestro99

Thanks chatterjee for the website.:)

kiwiguy,

I've tried the XP version with no success. Let me try it again.

As for Windows platform:
http://www.rightutilities.com/support/memory-washer/faq.htm

Memory optimizers are great for graphic/photo manipulation software. The problem with graphic/photo manipulation software is that they don't release the memory back when you close them and/or when you're working with multiple graphic software like: 3D, photo enhancing, video etc.). If you're working with more than one program, and you close one of them, it doesn't release the memory back - and we all experienced the swapping effect (hard drive)...slow. (By the way, graphic/video software are like the "cookie monster", or I should say, "Ram monster"....eat..and...eat memory to nothing but crumbs.)

It's better to buy more memory, rather than relying on memory optimizers, but they do their job and they do work.

Let me try a few things and I'll get back later today or tomorrow. :)

Getting Memory Washer to work is becoming more of a curiosity, rather than what the software can do. ;)

Maestro99

kiwiguy,

I don't think this is the right forum/thread to start a discussion on whether memory optimizers work or not....but interesting....here's my view.....:)

Regardless of what anybody says, I know for a fact that these programs recover memory without jeporadizing Windows performance or stability.

I've downloaded and tested several memory optimizers, and most of them worked. Mind you, some better than others.

As for the website you linked:
I agree with some of the things said, and some ify..ify....for example....

"At the same time the Resources are dropping, you are probably consuming more RAM. You may be pushing your swap file functioning much harder."

Exactly. That's what I said - swapping. Depending on how your computer is configured, Windows manages the way memory is allocated (Win98 [ right click My Computer > Properties > Performance > Virtual Memory]) - but not lost memory - memory that's not released back when you close the program. NOTE: In my previous message I should've said, "All back." Most applications don't release all memory, especially the memory demanding programs: Graphics, video edit, photo enhancing, etc..

"Why do System Resources not return to their full value after I exit all programs?

The bad reasons System Resources do not always return to their full value after exiting all programs are that a particular program sometimes will not free Resources upon exit, as it is supposed to do, perhaps because it was badly written. This is, surprisingly, relatively rare."

Welllllll, if we are talking strictly memory - it's not rare.

Try this (Win98) - You probably know this, but for those who don't:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > System Tools > (put a check mark on) System Monitor > OK > Apply [Note: For some, you may need your Win98 CD.]
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Monitor > Edit > Add Item > Memory Manager > Unused Physical Memory > OK [Note: It's best to use Numeric Chart - its the small icon with 123 click it.] Write down the number that's displayed in the Memory Manager box and minimize the window.
Now you're ready!

Open some applications, use it - and I mean use it - click Sytem Monitor (to open it (tray)) and see how much memory there is. Now close all application except system monitor and check the number and compare it to your first reading.

Yes, and there are other measurements that are factored in like swap etc., ......

Even better. Try using one application like SpySweeper - a memory monster! [Note: Disable it from start-up to get a better understanding of what's going on.]

If you use a memory optimizer/DEFRAG you'll be surprised at how much memory is recovered.

Getting back to what this entire thread was all about.....I just wanted to try Memory Washer, and I needed some suggestions. (By the way, looking at the sreenshot, it doesn't have a memory defrag, just a memory release - not sure.)

Even though it says all Windows OS, I think it's only for NT and higher.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online