Mysterious setting? Or what?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

boondockbob

I tried to access and ftp site (from my Dell laptop w/XP SP3) to obtain photos, but when I logged in there were no files/photos. I tried again with a Mac desktop and it worked fine. Tried again on my laptop. Nada. Tried on my wife's HP (with Vista) and it worked fine. Came back and tried on laptop and nothing. I can log in and go the the correct page, but unlike on the Mac and HP no files are listed. Is there a switch on my Dell D440 that prevents me from accessing an ftp page? Or something else?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
There is an option in Internet Explorer called enable FTP Folder View.
That may help.

boondockbob

Dave - I use Mozilla's Firefox. I couldn't find anything resembling your suggestion there. Where, if it exists in Firefox, would I expect to find it? Thanks

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Ouch,
I use FF as well and I've not seen that restriction anywhere.

Is this a company laptop??
There may be a POLICY restriction on FTP as it is very common to stop people downloading stuff.

boondockbob

No, it's my private laptop. I've had trouble accessing ftp sites before, but always thought it was a problem with the site. I checked the laptop's user manual (Dell Latitude D400) and couldn't find any kind of a setting or switch that might turn on or off ftp accessibility but couldn't find any. Mystifies me still.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online