1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mysterious System Slowdowns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by calibanzwei, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibanzwei

calibanzwei Thread Starter

This is my first post so please be gentle ;)

98SE
    XP 2000+
    256Mb TwinMOS 2700
    Soyo KT400 Platinum Dragon Ultra
    Maxtor 80Gb
    Gainward GS TI4200 (latest drivers 40.something)
    Pioneer 1016S DVD

When playing any game, be it UT2K3, Dungeon Siege, Morrowwind etc, or even 3D Mark2001, it seems fine for a while, then all of a sudden I get a complete system slowdown. Frame rates drop and even quick saving takes longer so obviously the HDD is affected, so its not just a graphics issue.
    After about 30s - 1m, everything shoots back up to normal and continues like this for 3-5mins until the cycle begins again but steadily gets worse until things become unplayable.

I have just recently done a complete wipe, reformat and reinstall of the OS and just enough drivers to get a game running with the same result, so no AV or monitoring programs were present, never mind running in the background!

This problem has only just started up after 2 months of working perfectly and the only things that may be affecting the system (but may not be directly responsible) are:

1. When creating the partitions on the HDD, Fdisk is reporting my 80Gb Maxtor as a 10Gb and am unable to change this. The jumpers are in the correct position and the BIOS is correctly reading it as a 80Gb. What can I do to rectify this? Can the fact that my HDD being incorrectly recognised when partitioning is causing these systemwide slowdowns?

2. According to the Soyo site http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=73 my TwinMOS PC2700 is not supported for my board. Its manufacturing code does not appear in the list. What are the implications of this?

Sorry for such a big post, but this is starting to drive my mental!

Cheers in advance
    Col

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Fdisk tends to have problems with large drives such as 80GB. Go to Maxtors website and download their harddrive setup utility and it will give you the full 80GB capacity. Secondly make sure your computer is not overheating. There should be fan on the cpu, video card, powersupply and preferably a case fan as well - make sure they are all working. Try running the computer with the side off of it and point a fan into the case and see if that helps.

3. calibanzwei

Cheers for the advice
    Temperatures usually run about 39 - 49 on die and case temp hangs around 35 - 45 so I don't tink its a heat problem

4. ***ROPAK***

***ROPAK***

Sounds to me your Swap File is growing and shrinking while your gameing. While your gaming (ut2003 Takes alot of ram to run) your ram gets used up, then it shifts over to your hard drive to make calculations. Problem is, the swap file is thousands of times slower than your ram.

Set your swap to the same number. With your 256 Id go .. 300 max 300 min. This way it wont be growing and shrinking all the time, giving you LAG.

Also, if your games are on seperate partitions its good to put your swap on the same one, releaving your laser movement on your hard drive.

I have 512 pc 2700 ram and it shoots down to 138 free while playing ut 2003. So Some more ram would help out too.

5. calibanzwei

Would the swap file size be an issue after a complete wipe and reinstall?

I was having the same problems after a fresh OS install, when the first time it was affecting the system after 2 months!

6. calibanzwei

I used MaxBlast to correctly size my HDD
    But when installing 98SE scandisk said it was incorrectly sized and the installation would not continue until it had been fixed!

What the frell is going on?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice