Mysterious Windows 7 Blackouts - Event Logs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hirnsausen

-- HP Compaq Presario CQ57 Refurbished -- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit -- i2330 2.2GHz -- 16GB RAM --

Almost each time I play a game or use game modding software, after between minutes to 2 hours, suddenly the screen becomes black. The only thing I then can do, is to reboot my laptop.

I found the logs of the Windows 7 Event Log Manager, but I don't know how to interpret them I would like to know, what's happening to my laptop. Can anyone here help?

Interestingly, I just upgraded my system. Only since then I have these problems. Before it was just a Celeron B800 1.5GHz and 8GB RAM, and I could use those programs, that bring now blackouts, without problems...

Last edited:
You could try going back to 8gig memory with the original sticks and see if that cures the issue. Also if you installed the newer CPU improperly it could cause heating issues. Using too much or no new thermal paste can cause the CPU to over heat. Just a little dab will do ya. I like to use the edge of an old credit card or similar to dab and spread the paste to a thin covering. I usually cut a small piece of the card to use, a whole card can be too much and make sure to remove all the old stuff using isopropyl alcohol. You can get it from the medicinal section of most big box stores. It's not expensive.

Hirnsausen

Thanks. It was a PC technician who did the exchange. But I don't get a thermal shutdown error. It's something different. I can see the CPU temperatures at all times, never reaching 80°. Nor do I get that "Thermal Shutdown" error message at restart.

What I want is someone who can tell me how to make the Windows logs available here, and who could interpret them.

Hirnsausen

Hi,

it uses just the onboard chip and graphic features. If needed, I can make the Windows Event Log files available here (compressed inside a RAR archive file).

I tried to look up your laptop and need the full model # . Your new CPU has a different integrated graphics than your old Celeron =Intel® HD Graphics , I3 2330= Intel® HD Graphics 3000 which may require a different driver if it is being used. Could you look in the device manager and see what video is being used? Some of the Presario CQ57's came with AMD graphics on the mother board.

Hirnsausen

Display Adapter? Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Please let me know, if you need more detailed information. But that is, what the Device Manager lists under GRAPHICS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online