1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mystery "Base System" devices on Acer laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FijiJohn, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

We just pulled Vista off and put XP on an Acer Aspire 4220. Audio, video, LAN, Wireless, SD card slot, modem, touchpad, chipset (nVidia) and CPU (AMD) drivers have all been installed and work perfectly. However, Device Manager still shows three "Base System Device" entries with yellow question marks and I cannot figure out what they might be. Suggestions?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If i remember correctly its to do with the card reader, are you sure you installed those drivers? I only see Ricoh/Card Reader drivers for Vista but maybe the Vista driver download includes the Windows XP drivers as they sometimes do.

3. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Thanks but the SD card reader I already installed is the Ricoh Card Reader. That works perfectly. The three mystery devices are something else. The XP drivers came from the Chinese Acer site. The only thing I did ntoi install is the Bluetooth driver as this model did not have any signs of having Bluetooth. Maybe that is part of the three missing Base System Device driver???

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I guess it could be the Bluetooth. I've done the same thing on an Acer or two before and do remember seeing the Base System device and could have sworn it was to do with the card reader. What happens if you remove the devices and let Windows try to search/update the drivers on reboot?

5. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

The guy who owns it picked it up before I could try removing all devices. I've tested all devices except IR and they all work perfectly (and even the IR driver is installed). Very strange,eh? And it kept trying to find a driver for each of the same three "Base System Devices", one after another (until you say 'don't bother me about this again').

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well thats too bad that it was picked up already, but as long as everything works it shouldn't be much of a problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!