1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mystery Blackout

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cobralibre, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cobralibre

cobralibre Thread Starter

So I run a personal recording studio from this computer and I was doing some pretty heavy tracking tonight with a friend. All was well, no problems, my buddy leaves and so I go to play a little of the new quake mod I downloaded. I close out of the recording program and go into quake and play for a bit. Blacks out, as if I had blown a fuse...everything just goes dark and quit. It wont start from the button so I have to unplug-replug then the start button again and it fires up and doesnt so much as give me an "inproper shutdown/scan disc" warning, just boots up.
    Whatever. Maybe had a power surge..who knows, right.
    I'm playing for about 15 minutes again and SAME THING. Im now worried I may be overheating or something similar. Am I over taxing my system...I know its ill advised to install too many programs on a studio machine but its all Ive got.
    Any suggestions as to what to check out? Where to look under the hood?
    My System is as follow:
    ASUS MB
    AMD 2000 XP
    512 RAM
    WIN XP

THANKS

2. Dan O

Dan O

Your ASUS MB should have PC Health Monitoring ASIC. Power up the PC and get into BIOS Setup to check it.

3. Duster340

Duster340

I had the same problem with my system and Battlefield 1942 and it just needed a new driver for my video card (ATI Radeon 9700 Pro). Same thing happened though, playing along fine then uncommanded reboot. Worth a look.

4. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

Check ur event viewer in administrative tools than get back to me

5. cobralibre

cobralibre Thread Starter

Thanks you guys,
    It doesnt say much. there's a few errors and warnings over the last few days but I think those have more to do w/some software. I had to save close out of Nuendo a few times due to hanging but on nuendo forums Ive found this to be not so uncommon. I may try that vid driver update though. It happened again last night and I uninstalled everything to do with quake out of irrational fear. I may re-install but that mod I was playing took 4 hours to download on a cable modem. My problems started the next day. hmmmmm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice