1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mystery PC fault?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seafisherman, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seafisherman

seafisherman Thread Starter

My computer froze and I couldn't power off using the power switch so I had to unplug at mains then when I tried rebooting I got a blank screen no messages or beeps though I could hear the power supply fan running also the main DVD drive light stayed on which suggested to me that the post had stopped or hadn't started. I opened up the case checked all connections still wouldn't start, I had to remove the graphics card to get to the cmos battery and took that out for 10mins then replaced both but still nothing so I decided to try a spare power supply and again took out the battery this time for 20mins and replaced I re-tried starting up and this time the bios started the post so I swapped back to the original power supply and again is started, all I then had to do was configure bios settings and the PC is back running properly. I would like your opinion on what might have been the cause of the problem of the freeze and the inability to switch off the pc using the power switch and the subsequent inability to boot up at all.
    ps. After all was back to normal I ran virus/mailware checks and all 3 drives clean I hadn't installed any new software or programs so no conflicts Im aware of?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice