1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mystery Shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cobralibre, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cobralibre

cobralibre Thread Starter

I posted something about this a bit back, I downloaded a new video driver as suggested and then the problem went away so I didnt worry about it further...until now.

A few times, 3 times when playing Quake and now 2 times while in the process of restoring some old files from an old back-up cd, my computer has without warning turned itself off. Simply gone black and quiet. I reboot and most often it does so without incident. I has once done a scan disc but usually boots up without even doing that. I do some heavy computing on this system as I run a music studio from it but I have not as of yet shut down during tracking.

Someone mentioned getting into my bios and making an adjustment but Im not too familliar with getting in there as I haven't been sinse I put this computer together some months ago - forget how. Dont know what Id do when I did get in there.

Im running:
    ASUS MB
    AMD 2000 XP
    512 RAM

Am I possibly overheating? Do I need a new power supply or system fan (I replaced neither when I upgraded this comp)? Is it a mechanism within XP or Norton system to guard against some potential issue? Its very confusing, please help if you can. THANKS!

2. RiViT

RiViT

The towerlite goes off too? Mine sometimes slips into sleep mode so I gotta hit esc to wake it up

3. cobralibre

No, the power light doesn't go off. It seems like sleep mode though I didn't hit esc to come out of it. It sometimes doesnt want to come back out of hibernation so I have ot physically unplug/replug it. That part makes me nervous.
    I have a felling it may be a power supply/ fan issue. Stay tuned.

4. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

ASUS I see... Me too, I had problems with restarts, too. Turns out my master controller fan had stopped running so I'd over heat and as a precaution it would reboot without warning. Ok to see what's wrong you need to power down, take the side off the case and turn it back on with the side off. Make sure all your fans are in working order. If they all work. Power down, put the side back on and go into BIOS by pressing the delete key when the computer first boots up, keep pressing it until you get into BIOS. Go to the "Power" tab and the go down to "HardWare Monitor" and press enter. Look at the MB Temperature, it shouldn't much higher than 60 degrees celcius. If it is you need much better cooling. Exit Discarding Changes. And that's all I can offer.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Merged duplicate threads

Dave

6. exocet

exocet

60 degrees celcius is a bit high. My XP 2000+ tends to wig out when the temps get to the low 50's. I would aim to keep your CPU temp down in the 40-49 range (celcius).

7. cobralibre

Im a little confused. There's MB temp and CPU temp.
    MB Temp ranges 31 - 35 C
    CPU Temp ranges 80-86.5 C

Obviosly that CPU temp is the one that worries. I opened it up and have a house fan blowing into the case at the moment but what do I do - the cpu fan and the system fan seem to be working. Is it that Im not getting enough power to these fans? The power supply is one of the only things I didnt replace when I upgraded this system. the system fan is in the same housing as the power supply so replacing one is relacing the other. Do I simply swap pu that CPU fan. It is spinning....

Thanks you guys.

8. cobralibre

With the house fan the CPU temp is down like 20degrees, the MB about 12. Its pretty clear I need to do something about this temp issue. But what exactly...power Supply, CPU fan, something else?

9. exocet

exocet

Wow! 80 degrees CELSIUS?! That is about at that CPU's max temp. Are you sure it is in Celsius and not Fahrenheit? If it's been running that hot, it could be or has been damaged.

For fans, they're rated to spin at a certain RPM speed, and rated to push a certain amount of cubic feet of air per minute (CFM). I would definately purchase a new CPU heatsink/fan combo.. perhaps a Thermaltake Volcano 9. You may also want to think about adding additional fans to your case. You want to get as much air flow moving into your case through the front, and being pulled out the back as possible.

10. cobralibre

It was a s high as 86.5, yea - celsius. How would I know if it's been damaged BTW? Seems to be woking all right. It's now in the low 60's with the house fan on it. I have no slot on the front of the case for a fan but I'll certainly investigate more air circulation. Should I just leave the sides off and a house fan on it? Seems like the caveman method.

11. exocet

exocet

Until you find a more permanent and adequate cooling solution, i definately think you should leave the fan blowing into your open case. 80+ C is getting into the dangerous temp range for 2000+ XP cpu. You'll know the chip is damaged when you get random reboots, instability, machine doesnt even turn on at all, or other wonderful, but obvious things. From what you said, sounds like its not.

For a little information about air flow through your case, the following link might prove helpful:

http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/airflowtweak/

As high as the temperatures you're getting, i'd recommend this beast. It can be a bit loud, but buddy, it sure pushes the air through:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...17-02.JPG/35-106-017-03.JPG/35-106-017-05.JPG

and it's description:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=35-106-017

You also may want to consider moving your computer into a larger, roomier case with more fan slots if your current one is a bit crowded with wires and such. Having a bunch of wires everywhere only serves to trap heat in the case and prevent airflow. You may want to also purchase some zip ties, and do a little cable management inside the case and get them out of the way.

But until you decide what to do, no harm in leaving your house fan blowing in there.

12. cobralibre

You are an angel and all the children of the land will love you.

13. cobralibre

Oh, and another thing.....Ive got a 250W stock power supply. Ive read that this aint too high for an AMD 2000XP, 2 HD's and 2 CD drives plus some other periph's. Assuming I get the new heatsink fan and case fan, is the power supply going to effect the heat issue, IOW...does anybody know of a situation where an inadiquate PS caused heat due to slowing of fan etc? Just a shot in the dark.

14. exocet

exocet

I don't know the exact amount of power every device draws from the power supply, perhaps someone else who knows can field that. Personally, though, with that kind of computer, i would get a 350W power supply.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice