1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mystery typing and access of pull down menus

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kerso, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerso

kerso Thread Starter

I have a laptop (attached to a server) that is being affected by mysterious typing and access of the pull-down menus - as if someone is accessing it remotely.

For example, I open up an email message, start typing, but then words I am not typing myself (that have nothing to do with my own message) start typing onto the screen.

The server has a firewall, and the laptop itself has MacAfee Firewwall installed. It is running Windows XP.

We have four laptops in the room. No other laptops are experiencing this problem.

There is no wireless access, expcept that the keyboards and mouses/mice are all wireless. But, the phantom text that appears is not related to anything anyone is typing on other laptops.

Our official tech support people have absolutely no idea why this is happening. Has anyone ever heard of this?

2. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hello

Sounds spooky!

I have never heard of this but off the top of my head it sounds like a virus. What things does it type?

Things to try: (Apologies if they have already been done)

1. Update your virus tables and scan your pc. (also try a free scan from www.antivirus.com)
    2. When the mystery typing starts etc check taskmanager for any "dodegy" looking processes.
    3. Do you have pcanywhere on the pc? Are you sure someone is not playing a prank on you?

Thats all I can think of for now.
    Will post again if anything comes up.

Very strange!
    Good luck

Pileyrei

:confused:

3. catlady13

catlady13

I had this happen to me on XP and was seriously thinking I had ghosts.. but I had either somehow myself inadvertently or perhaps it was enabled from the beginning.. activated the voice part of the windows XP. I can't remember what it is called but if I remember correctly you get into it under control panel speech. Every time it heard me speak or a noise it was interrpreting it and typing it on my screen in whatever application I was using.. ws driving me crazy until I deactivated it. I am not sure if this is your problem or not

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice