mystery user account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DudleyDoRite

recently, I've had to log in everytime I start up windows xp professional. I looked in the accounts and there was an account called "asp.net" This account does not show up on the startup screen. The web site is a microsoft site, but why would they setup a user account on my machine? Could be the name is just safe sounding, but its some hacker crap?

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer.

The user account is created for the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services to fully support ASP.net on your web server (This is pretty much its only use, it is not used to run normal .net managed executables) .

There is no need to worry about this user account presence, it was not created in malicious way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online