Myth or Fact: 'a Cat 8 can sometimes slow Internet speed'

sharky

I was all set to replace a 10 year old ethernet cable, so old it is fragile and writing on the cord has disappeared.
So, was all set to buy a Cat8 which is about $3 more than a Cat5 when i read a Cat8 may actually slow down my 12 mbps speed (dont laugh at the speed please)
Wondering if a Cat 8 may SLOW the internet speed down?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Where did you read it would be slower?

I found an old article on the Belden website that talked about the then upcoming release of CAT8 cabling. It stated it would be 100% backward compatible with older CAT versions.

https://www.belden.com/blog/smart-building/how-does-category-8-compare

The actual speed you achieve will be based on the slowest device at either end of the cable. I suspect the 12 mbps speed you are getting for you Internet connection is more likely due to the speed your ISP can or is willing to deliver to your location.

sharky

Where did you read it would be slower?

I found an old article on the Belden website that talked about the then upcoming release of CAT8 cabling. It stated it would be 100% backward compatible with older CAT versions.

https://www.belden.com/blog/smart-building/how-does-category-8-compare

The actual speed you achieve will be based on the slowest device at either end of the cable. I suspect the 12 mbps speed you are getting for you Internet connection is more likely due to the speed your ISP can or is willing to deliver to your location.
RE
I googled search cat 8 and read over a dozen articles on CAT8.
99.999% said CAT 8 is backward compatible but all said words to the effect, CAT5e would likely be sufficient in my circumstance.
1 article said may a CAT8 may actually slow down speed. Just wanted to run that by here in Tech Guy forum.
12mbps is the fastest speed in my area from ISPs

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yep, CAT5e would be good enough in most cases. Do you have multiple networked devices within your location? CAT5e would easily give you 100 mbps connections between wired devices.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you are replacing or adding any permanent Ethernet cabling at your location, you might want to upgrade to using CAT6 as a future-proofing measure at a not very much cost increase.

sharky

RE
I need 6 feet ethernet cable for 12mbps speed
A Cat 5e is about $5. A Cat 8 is about $8.
I figure go with the CAT 8 for a couple of dollars more. CAT 8 being newer technology.May not help much or any. Unless there would be negative going with CAT 8.

EDIT:
I just read this about CAT 8 from one of the articles above:

What does this mean outside of what it says bluntly.
"Cat 8 Cables:
Cons – Due to different connectors, they are not compatible with cat5e and cat 6 cables"

Last edited:

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Each higher level of Category cabling is certified to be able to support up to a certain bandwidth/frequency.

Category 5e 100MHz
Category 6 250MHz
Category 6a 500MHz
Category 7 600MHz
Category 8 2000MHz

Why are these bandwidth/frequency numbers relevant? They tie into the max Ethernet speed that is supported on that cabling. Category 5e and 6 easily support 1Gbps at the standard 100meter spec. However Category 6 can support 10Gbps at a max distance of about 55meters. Category 6a supports 10Gbps per second at the standard 100meter spec. Category 7 is just an incremental improvement in cabling but still supports 10Gbps at the standard 100meter spec. Category 8 is where things jump in supported Ethernet speeds. Category 8 cabling can support 25Gbps or 40Gbps at a max cable length of 30 meters. It supports 10Gbps and below to the full 100meter spec.

Unless you have plans to run 25Gbps or 40Gbps on your network, there is absolutely no need to use Category 8 cabling. The only cabling I would invest money in to include wiring up your home is Cat6a.

sharky

RE: I will be 170 years old by the time 25Gbps or 40Gbps gets to my area.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What does this mean outside of what it says bluntly.
"Cat 8 Cables:
Cons – Due to different connectors, they are not compatible with cat5e and cat 6 cables"
CAT8 cable has a continuous metallic shield wrapped around the twisted pair bundle. The shield terminates on special RJ45 plugs that have metal wrapped around three sides of the plug that goes into an matching RJ45 jack that has in internal metal shell that would then be grounded in the equipment that has the jack. AFAIK, the metal does not increase the overall dimensions of the RJ45 plug as compared to a non-shielded RJ45 plug used for CAT5 and CAT6. The plug on a CAT8 cable will fit into a non-shielded RJ45 jack, but the shield in the cable will not be grounded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online