1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

n key suddenly stopped working (Moved from Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iHateWindows3, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iHateWindows3

iHateWindows3 Thread Starter

So im not sure if im posting this in the right place. But i see no category for devices. Aswell as i feel like this is a windows related issue.

Anyway. I have an msi gaming G series laptop. I turned it on today to find out my [n] key no longer registers?. It is only my [n] key in lowercase. The key worked fine yesterday, i didn't spill anything into my keyboard or anything like that and everything else works fine. The key works if i hold shift ,i get a capital N, if i use caps lock however it doesnt work either. But if i use caps lock and hold shift and press n, i finally get a lowercase [n]. But this is the only way to get it to work. Ive checked for windows and drivers updates. Both updated, restarted multiple times, tried toggling languages. Still doesnt work. If i make a new user account, it works perfectly on that account. So for some reason only on my account will [n] not register. Ive asked all my friends who are tech genius's and even they are confused on how this is possible.

Please help this is very frustrating due to the degree of impossibility.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you done a full shut down and the fired up this laptop?

I mean full shut down not a sleep, suspend and etc.

3. iHateWindows3

Ive tried restarting and turning it off completely and back on multiple times.

4. iHateWindows3

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does the onscreen keyboard work?
    Does a USB keyboard plugged in produce "n"?

If yes to the above, you have 3 choices: create a new user where you say the small n functions correctly( eventually you could rename the account where the n doesn't work to another user then rename the new account created to your former name so you'd have control over all the files), use the onscreen keyboard for n or attach a USB keyboard.

The other option is a clean install of Windows 10 but that means you lose all the programs you've installed, all the customization and access to all your files.

I know it isn't logical that a single key doesn't work but computers aren't logical!!! I've learned to not be surprised from my years of reading about computer problems.

lynx1021 likes this.
  6. Geekthis

Geekthis

Just FYI when I installed windows 10 on my laptop I lost the F8 key. which on a dell is the safe mode key. I needed to go in command prompt to fix it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice