1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

N Router range and laptop cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitalmonster, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digitalmonster

digitalmonster Thread Starter

Two different questions:

1) Whats the exact range of the N router?

2) Is there any way I can improve the network pick-up range of my wireless laptop card? Will buying a N wireless card (whether or not the router is N) improve how far I can pick up internet signal from a router?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

To take advantage of the extra range of the N router, you need an N card.

Exact range varies depending on conditions; but, I have seen what I can safely say is, all other things being equal, 50% greater distance under any given set of circumstances, sometimes more.

Some claim 400- or 600- or even 800 feet; but, those kinds of numbers are usually based on the most ideal of conditions created under laboratory conditions. No one lives in a laboratory, though. You might get those distances on the ocean beyond any sight of land over the horizon. Everyone cheats in advertising. I mean, why is it 400 feet even. Why isn't it 384 feet and 4 inches. Why would a signal suddenly become to0 weak at even numbers like 400, 600 or 800. Why not 423 feet 11 inches.

I know it's true; I saw it in print.:D

3. Soundy

Soundy

An N router will definitely improve your range with a B or G adapter... as Alex notes, exact range will vary based on a number of conditions, but it's certainly better than with a B or G router. An N adapter will improve range even more.

The other thing you can do to help your range is to upgrade your router's antenna. There are a number of options available... go to this link http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=1&sec=1 and scroll down to "Antennas" for some examples.

4. digitalmonster

digitalmonster Thread Starter

ok thanks. Another question:

If i'm trying to connect to a Hot Spot with my laptop, will buying a N laptop card increase the range of how far I can be to receive the Hot Spot signal? Or is there nothing I can do from the laptop user-end?

5. Soundy

Soundy

I don't know that an N adapter with a non-N access point will benefit the range much, if any.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Only if both the router and the card are N.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice