1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

N-series wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobbi, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Hi

I have a friend who is asking about a wireless router.

Her daughter has a computer in the basement which uses DSL for internet access. My friend just bought a new Dell desktop and has it in her bedroom.

Okay, she wants to connect to the DSL in the basement. She says it's about 45 feet away. down one floor and through a cement wall.

She asked me if she should use the g-series or n-series router. I'm not familiar with wireless routing since I still have dial up at home! :(

Any info would be great. Thanks;)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, a cement wall is going to be a formidable barrier. You will probably want to try to relocate the wireless antenna so that wall is not between them. You'll probably also want to consider a hi-gain directional antenna to maximize the signal strength, since I suspect that there are other obstructions between the two locations.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

3. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Hmmm...would a wired solution be a better option then?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you can manage a wire, it would be a MUCH better solution, and any connection quality issues would be history. The ONLY reason wireless exists is, well it's wireless. :)

FWIW, although it's probably too late for you, I ran a 2" pipe from the basement to the attic when I built this house, and it's already got half a dozen cables in it. In the absence of a wiring pipe, you can frequently fish the wire beside drain vents that to to the attic and along side the drains to the basement. Heating system cold air returns are another handy place to string the wire without a lot of drilling.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice