1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

N00b Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vader Was Framed, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vader Was Framed

Vader Was Framed Thread Starter

Been running a Viewsonic LCD 720 on my desktop machine with Windows XP Professional for about 5 years with no problems with video card being a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Never had a display issue.

Recently the display has been showing 3-4 color panels running vertically with XP running below it. I hadn't made any display setting changes or installed any new drivers or video software (that I know of). Seems to be a bug/virus of some sort. Swapped out the monior with a CRT and the issue remained so I know its not blown pixels or a physical issue with the display.

It has progressively worsened to where I cannot see anything behind these panels and it "smears" into everything else on screen. I can't even see enough to try and download drivers, etc. In the initial stages, when I could see decently, tried system restore in windows to try and restore any old settings but this did not fix the issue. Also tried adjusting the settings on the actual monitor such as ato adjust, etc and this did not fix the issue.

What steps should I take, now that I am essentially blind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

welcome to TSG,

maybe the graphics card. open the case and make sure it's seated properly.

make a screen shot and feel free to post it ... to rule out issues with the operating system/drivers.

3. endfro

endfro

Ehh I have only ever seen 3 things mess up the display on a monitor in such a way.

1) Broken Monitor, you know yours isnt. But I would still try it on another PC just in case.
    2) Broken Video card (sucks, i know)
    3) Bad RAM.. too many times have I seen god knows what get displayed on a monitor due to bad ram. Download the ISO for memtest (www.memtest.org) burn it, and boot off it to verify your ram.

4. Flags

Flags

Take the card out and carefully inspect the Capacitors. Any swellling or leakage?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice