1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Name given for a certain noise.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFonz007, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFonz007

TheFonz007 Thread Starter

I wish to know two things: Is there a name given for the noise made when the computer is doing a scan for virus, adware or malware and How and where is this noise generated?

There are no issues/problems other than slow response during these scans. I just would like to know if a name has ever been given for this type of noise. The noise sounds like a Geiger Counter when it detects radiation. Please read on. After the scan is over, no more noise. This has happened with any computer I have ever owned and I hear it on others. It would be nice to know if a name has ever been given to it.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No idea what "noise" you may be referring to. There should be no particular noise associated with a scan that is not always present. If you have file system damage, a ticking sound may be heard when the drive seeks data. The sound is also produced when a drive has difficult access for other reasons, the partition is damaged, or the drive is heavily fragmented. Some drives tend to "tick" more than others, anyway. The sound is head movement.

3. Koot

Koot

I suspect you're hearing the arm in the hard drive moving as it accesses data on the disks. You could confirm this by creating a homemade stethoscope of sorts. Remove the side panel and touch a long-handled screw driver tip to the side of your HD case and put your ear on the screw driver's handle. The sound your HD makes will be easily transmitted from the HD to your ear.

While you're playing around listen to the fans for your CPU, North Bridge, and case fans. You'll be able to listen to the fan's shaft sleeve or bearing(s), and may be able to hear the tiny electric arc from the fan's motor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice