Named Pipes, Port 139 and Port 445

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

peterc

I have read many places that MS SQL Server using Named Pipes is using port 139 and port 445. But I don't know when port 139 is used instead of port 445 and vice versa?

Are port 139 and port 445 actually duplicates?

I have limited knowledge in NT Networking.

peterc

Hi hewee,

The List of Lists in the http://lists.gpick.com is very helpful.

I use the Port Lookup for 139 and 445:

For 139:
Type Keyword Description Trojans
TCP netbios-ssn NETBIOS Session Service Chode, God Message worm, Msinit, Netlog, Network, Qaz, Sadmind, SMB Relay

UDP netbios-ssn NETBIOS Session Service

For 445:
Type Keyword Description Trojans
TCP microsoft-ds Microsoft-DS Lioten, Randon, WORM_DELODER.A, W32/Deloder.A, W32.HLLW.Deloder, Sasser

UDP microsoft-ds Microsoft-DS

I don't know the difference between NETBIOS Session Service and Microsoft-DS.
I still don't know when SQL Server will use port 139 instead of 445 and vice versa.

Thank you for any help.

I don't know or understand all the port junk.
I just keep all my setting up high on everything.
Firewall is set high and I have a router that acts as a firewall and from running the test here https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 I come up Stealth.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online