Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naming convention

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  mcseho 
#1 ·
In NT platform, how can I managed a customer with their own naming convention while I have my own naming convention for my managed servers?

#3 ·
The naming convention that I have are 10 chracters long contains numbers and letters. since I am managing these servers (NT) with known names, what type of configuration do I need to be compatiable with other different names? Another words , Do I need to add a system (server/applications) to be able to translate different names to my standard naming convention?

#4 ·
NT names are netBIOS names which is a windows naming convention. To communicate with foreign systems you need some sort of name resolution server. The easiest way is to configure a WINS server. You can make your windows machines clients to this server and they will register their names dynamicly. All clients will be able to see all other clients. You can create static mappings for foreign systems in WINS so your windows machines can connect to them by cumputer name. For your foreign clients to connect to your windows machines you would need to cinfigure a DNS server which requires more work. Without it they can only connect by IP adress.

#8 ·
If you don't need to be on the internet I would say a WINS server would be the easiest since all the clients register themselves (win clients that is). Win2k offers dynamic DNS for win2k clients. I'ts probably not very cost effective to upgrade all the machines and would most likely take longer than configuring your current DNS. I would say study NTs DNS server and learn it as best as you can. Its not a bad skill to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.