1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAS Drive and resetting IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DanRJFrost, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanRJFrost

DanRJFrost Thread Starter

Hello,

Firstly allow me to apologise for my lack of technical knowledge, I know my way around a computer but things like IP addresses and the like, my brain doesn't seem to be able to cope with.

I work for a company and I am currently trying to make some changes to the security on our NAS drive, (I will give specifics of the equipment we are using below). The NAS drive we have does have some security functionality on it however we don't have the username and password (it was set up before I arrived and now no one knows anything about it). I am able to restore the NAS to factory settings which apparently will not affect the content of the drive however it will in addition to resetting the password and username, reset the IP address.

Now the concern I have is that once I have reset this, then will the computers which are connected to it be no longer able to access the drive which is essential for the business.

The NAS is connected to a switch which then feeds off via Ethernet to 8 separate computers (6 running XP, 2 running Windows 7), will this mean that when the IP address is reset the computers will lose access to the drive or will they be okay as they are still connected via Ethernet. If they will lose access what will I need to do to 'reconnect' them.

The equipment I'm using is:
    NAS Drive: Buffalo LinkStation LS-Q2.0TL/R5
    Switch (2 computers connect to this and it connects to Switch 2): HP ProCurve 1410-8G Switch
    Switch 2 (6 computers connect using this): 3Com Baseline Switch 2816

Thanks for any help you can give me

Dan Frost

2. Rockn

Rockn

If you reset it to factory no one will be able to access it by it's old IP address any longer. Find out what the default IP address is supposed to be after a reset, change your computer or laptop IP address to match the network of the NAS so you can access it. If the NAS default IP is 192.168.0.100 change your computer IP address to 192.168.0.101 and connect directly to it with an ethernet cable. You should be able to access the configuration page of the NAS through a web browser and set the devices IP address back to it's pre-reset address. Once you do that you should be able to access it on the LAN once it is connected again.

3. DanRJFrost

DanRJFrost Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for that, I think I understand.

Basically, I should note down the current IP configuration and then reset the NAS to factory settings which then cuts the access to the computers, I should then access the NAS via my computer through the resetted IP address (or maybe through the software with the NAS). And then change the NAS IP configuration back to what it was pre-reset, this should then allow access again for the computers... I think that's right?

Now I just have to figure out how to get the resetted IP address.

Thanks for your help, its very much appreciated

Daniel Frost

4. Rockn

Rockn

Sounds like you've got it. I am sure there are also tutorials on Buffalo's web site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice