1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAS Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by karlhaywood, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karlhaywood

karlhaywood Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi, i dont no know whether this is the right place to post this problem so feel free to move it if necessary.

I have just purchased a Nas Drive, i have set it all up. The problem i have is i go to "My Computer" Then "Map Network Drive" i browse for the drive "Storage-0051" i click ok on that drive and it maps ok. When i go to use the drive later on i go to "My Computer" and the drive is visible but when i click on "Storage-0051" it just crashed the computer. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

2. karlhaywood

Just an update i have tried CHKDSK and also disabled the firewall on the router and the problem still persists.

Can anyone help?

3. karlhaywood

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Can you FTP into the NAS? I'll assume the NAS comes with an FTP server already configured.

5. karlhaywood

Yes but i dont know how to setup FTP to access folders over the web. I have gave the NAS a static ip address and forwarded port 21. But i dont know how to access the folders!!

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

But you can access the folders over your own LAN via FTP. correct?

7. karlhaywood

Thats the bit i dont know how to setup. Would you be able to help?

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

I would recommend a good FTP client like Filezilla.

Make sure to read the documentation that came with the NAS regarding default usernames and passwords if any are needed.

Essentially, in the FTP client, you would enter the IP of the location you're trying to access, the port number (21 for FTP), and the username and password, unless you've allowed fro anonymous log-in.

Apparently, Windows has a built in FTP client that you can use through Internet Explorer, but I don't have Internet Explorer, so maybe someone else can pop in and help with that if you're interested in that solution.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice