1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAS Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MoltenTessaract, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MoltenTessaract

MoltenTessaract Thread Starter

Hey, i'm looking to set up a NAS with 2 external Harddrvies (500GB each) using an old PC.
    I want them to show up in my Windows Vista sharing center, where i can map them, or it would be even better if i could get them to show up as local drives.

thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only NAS I know of that shows up as local drives are the Ximeta NDAS models.

I have three of these, they map directly to drive letters in my system. http://www.ximeta.com/web/products/ndenclosure1_en.php

Obviously, you can map network drives as well, but they are not treated the same as local drives. With the Ximeta NDAS drives, I can do things like interrogate the SMART parameters, etc., they really appear as local drives.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm a bit curious about this installation CD you have to use to gain access to this NAS solution.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Ximega NDAS disks have a specific NDAS driver, and yes, you have to install it on any machine that you wish to access the NDAS disk from.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice