1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAS v. NDAS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 19jss58, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

Network three boxes (98, XP and Vista) and am going to add a hard drive intended for common storage among the three.

Have noticed small Peer-To-Peer networks use either Network Attached Storage or Network Direct Attached Storage. Advantages of NDAS include Stackable RAID, speed (is faster than NAS) and security (only boxes with software codes can access drive). Also no IP config issues with NDAS. Disadvantages are that one has to install the software on each work station and limits on drive size (400GB).

Anyone with any experience with NDAS? Asking because I'm suspicious about overly-rosey description of NDAS by marketers.

I'm thinking also that I could buy NAS enclosure and simply download NDAS drivers from Ximeta Inc. if NAS proves too troublesome to configure.

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have three Ximeta NDAS drives that I use on my network in a remote cinder block enclosure for backup. They do all of the things you specified, and I've quite happy with them. The speed is much faster than any cheap NAS (I have two of those as well), they can be formatted NTFS, and I can even use SMART diagnostics to monitor the drive health.

As you say, the major downside is the fact that you need a driver installed on any machine you access them with.

Oh, I bought the enclosures on sale, and added my own drives. I have a 400gig, 300gig, and a 250gig in the boxes.

You can't use NDAS drivers with the NAS boxes, they're totally different interfaces. You can't even use Ximeta drivers on other NDAS devices.

3. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

Thanks, John.

Regarding above quote, which drivers do you think WELLAND ME-740K uses if not Ximeta?

BTW, I see you post often in this forum and am wondering about the significance of your assassin cat avatar. Is it simply what it is?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ximeta licenses the drivers to some vendors, I believe they own the patent on NDAS. For instance, I have a Mediagate MG-35 media controller, and it also uses NDAS. I got a version of the Ximeta drivers that worked, but I guess Mediagate didn't continue to pay royalties, because any upgrades don't work with that unit. :)

The cat is just because I'm somewhat of a gun nut, I collect old pistols. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice