1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nasty little computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by merrick, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merrick

merrick Thread Starter

Hello :) Well, let me get right to the point: I have this old machine from -95 or thereabout, and I've been trying to install a cd-writer on it. Needless to say it didn't work, instead I was left with some wires and a comp that wont start. (ok, u can stop laughing..;) It has two hard drives. I've managed to get the A: drive plugged in correctly. I know this because when I start up the computer the little green light goes on. It doesn't go off though. And the hard drives start spinning nicely, but the system doesn't boot. My question is: What could the problem possibly be? I haven't dropped it on the ground or anything, and there's only two white cables to connect. Does it matter where the electrical cables go? (The yellow/black/red ones). I'd really like to get my old geriatric comp working cause I have some good stuff on it. ANY advice would be very appreciated. Thank you,

merrick

2. brianF

brianF

Usually when the floppy drive light doesn't go out it means the cable is connected backwards. The red stripe on the cable must be connected to pin1 on the drive and the motherboard. If that doesn't work try a different cable.

3. merrick

merrick Thread Starter

I've tried reversing the cable, that only keeps it from running altogether (i.e. no shining little green light). But thanks anyway. I'll try with a new cable. You don't know what could keep Windows from booting? Probably another pesky little cable causing trouble..?

Merrick

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!