1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAT IP range

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mikesa, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

I've got one PC with a wireless Dlink DWL-510 adapter connected to my Belkin F5D6230-3 802.11b Cable Gateway Router. I have a second PC connected to one of the ethernet ports on the router. On the ethernet connected PC, I am using ICS to provide internet access to 2 other PCs "daisychained" on an HPNA Phoneline network. The Belkins DHCP takes 192.168.2.1 and assigns IPs in the 192.168.2.x range. The ICS PC gets an asigned IP of 192.168.2.x from the router on the ethernet NIC, and, it takes 198.162.0.1 for the HPNA network card and assigns 192.168.0.x to the other 2 HPNA PCs as an ICS DHCP server. The HPNA network cannot see the Wireless network, but all PCs connect to the Internet fine. I just picked up a DLink wireless router 802.11g, and it looks like the NAT in the router uses the same subnet as Microsoft's ICS. Do most, or almost all, Wireless Gateway Routers use 192.168.0.x range, and does anyone know if Belkin is the only one that doesn't. Having a router that uses a different subnet than ICS, works for me. I hope I stated this all correctly as I'm just getting into this stuff. Thanks,
    Mike

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Some routers use Different Subnets. I just bought a Motorola Wireless G router for my Father in law and it was using 192.168.10.X.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can change the subnet IP range for most equipment, check the setup pages.

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, the wireless router is a bit of overkill for your setup. In reality, you've now got 3 routers for a, probably, very small network. The Belkin, the ICS PC, and now the wireless router.

All you really needed was a wireless Access Point with one ethernet port. Then what ever network you pluged the Access Point into, the access point would then "bridge" that network as the wireless network. Meaning the wireless clients would be able get DHCP addresses from whatever DHCP server already existed in that wired network.

So, does the wireless router also include any LAN ports? If it does, your simplest solution will be to turn DHCP off on that router, plug one of the LAN ports into one of your other LAN ports via a "cross over cable". Then the wireless network will be bridge on to that network as described above. And the NAT/Routing portions of the DLink box will be unused.

If it doesn't have any LAN ports, then, yes, you should be able to change what DHCP range it hands out, and you'll be doing double NATing if you connect it to the Belkin, and Triple NATing if you connect it behind the ICS box.

Hope this helps,
    -Scott

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While I agree that three routers are overkill, a wireless router is almost always cheaper than a WAP, so why not use one if it works. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice