1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAT with PPPoE Configuration on router???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charlton, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charlton

Charlton Thread Starter

I recently bought a NetGear Router to setup my lan to use internet access to more then one PC. I finally got everything working fine. However, I am curious on what is PPPoE use for?

Could some one tell me what this is use for and what it means.

Thanks in advance.
    Charlton

2. wedor

wedor

That's the protocol that I use to access the web with DSL.

PPPoE=Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet

3. Charlton

Charlton Thread Starter

Thanks Wedor for the quick reply. However, what ISP are you using and why do you need PPPoE in order to connect? How does it connect, do you need to logOn from the workstation or the router need the information in order to access the their particular PPPoE servers.

I don't know anyone that uses PPPoE, we always have a constant connectivity with the ISP (Pacbell/RCN) and do not require a username and password intervention.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Charlton

4. Rockn

Rockn

Quite a few ISP's are using PPPoE now and it is not an always on connection like other forms of DSL. Most ISP's have some sort of Access management software that in effect looks like a dialup connection. I think it is just a scheme to keep home users from using a broadband connection from being shared in one form or another. You should still be able to share this type of connection and most routers support it.

5. wedor

wedor

I use Ameritech as my ISP and have my DSL through them. PPPoE requires a username and password, in my case it's stored in the router so I am either always on or connect automatically.

I need PPPoE because that's how they provide their service.

6. Monk_

Monk_

7. wedor

wedor

You are correct Rockn', the original software that came with this did not allow sharing. First I went with RASPPPoE and then to a router for sharing. The newer versions of the software do allow sharing now but I have no use for them.

8. Charlton

Charlton Thread Starter

Thanks All for the useful information.

Cheerios :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/87584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice