National Championship Game--a Cry for a Playoff System

Should we have a Playoff System in NCAA Football or Continue the BCS system?

• We should continue with the BCS system and the Bowls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mulderator

It seems no one is discussing this anywhere else, so this is as good as anywhere.

Do you remember when we were all discussing whether Michigan or Florida should play OSU? :confused: Since then, Michigan was butt-whooped by USC and OSU was manhandled by Florida. I frankly do not think Florida is that much better than OSU, I think the "hype" got in OSU's mind just like it did for USC when they were beat by UCLA--yeah it was a much closer game, but still--USC is head and tails above UCLA yet were beaten.

Bottom line is this 40 day layoff between games and then playing one game after Christmas and New Years and all that is ridiculous--mature adults would have a hard time keeping it together mentally let alone a bunch of teens and early 20 year olds. This year has demonstrated to me more than ever that we need a playoff system in NCAA football--none of this nonsense of sitting around for weeks on end--you go right from your last game to the first playoff game in rythym--the top teams get to "get their feet wet" and play some lesser talent in a march to the Championship. I really believe had OSU and Florida met after 3 weeks of playoffs, the game would have been entirely different. Not saying OSU would have won, but they are a much better team than 41-14, that's for damn sure.

Also, being a champion means playing well at the right time. Consider this--if UCLA scores in that late drive against UCLA (and they would have but for a great athletic play by a UCLA defender), then USC goes to play OSU and Florida ends up ranked 3rd. How would that have been faiir? :confused: How many years has a "Florida" team never got the chance to show they were the best team in the nation? Why should we put up with an archaic system of ranking teams which is all subjective rather than laying it out on the field?

deh

Mulder said:
Why should we put up with an archaic system of ranking teams which is all subjective rather than laying it out on the field?
$

Mulderator

deh said:
I think they'd make more money with a 16 team playoff than these useless bowl games. And the teams that don't make the playoffs can still go to Bowl games if they want--no one cares about any but the top ones and those would be replaced with more playoff games.

Yes we should have a playoff system and the four and six week layoffs we have now are ridiculous. I would like to see Florida play USC Then we will know who really is number one.

I voted for a playoff system but I feel that on that given day Florida was the best college team in America.

By the end, the numbers were numbing. Florida outgained the Buckeyes 370 yards to 82, led in first downs 21-8 and time of possession 40:48 to 19:12.

Florida got all but one of the 65 first-place votes in the final Associated Press poll. Ohio State dropped from No. 1 and finished second. (Boise State got the one remaining vote)

This is something that I think needs to be addressed in both college and the pros:

Ted Ginn Jr. returned the opening kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown, but then it quickly fell apart for the Buckeyes. Ginn hurt his foot in the touchdown celebration and hobbled off after Ohio State's first offensive play.

I can't remember who the other player was in an earlier regular season game that did a flip into the end zone(with nobody close to him) and broke is collarbone and was lost for most of the rest of the season.

I can see players being enthused about scoring a touchdown or winning a game and celebrating but it has gotten where they do all this jumping and bumping chests on every play. What has happend to the great players that used to score and just lay the ball down in the endzone without all the dancing and acting like a five year old.

One other little tidbit:

Chris Leak and Tim Tebow showed off Meyer's twin quarterback system to perfection as the Gators became the first Division I school to hold national titles in football and basketball at the same time

Mulderator

Deke40 said:
I voted for a playoff system but I feel that on that given day Florida was the best college team in America.
\

That may or may not have been true--hard to know how good they were or how bad OSU was playing--you really don't think they are THAT much better, do you? On the day USC played Michigan, they were the best. That's why a playoff would settle all this--whether the "best" team wins or not is irrelevant--everyone had their shot and can't complain--right now, some very good teams never got the chance.

ekim68

Mike
I agree with the playoff idea. It's the only major college sport without one. You could use
all of the stadiums now in play and still make money.
BTW, that game last night probably set the record for running the same commercial a number of times.

Would this work?

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - The Florida Gators went to bed early Tuesday morning as national champions.

Hundreds of miles away, the Boise State Broncos woke up a few hours later with the best record in America.

The Gators get to take home the crystal Bowl Championship Series trophy.

The Broncos will have to settle for a Top-10 final ranking and the distinction of being the only team without a loss in Division I-A after the Gators dismantled then-No. 1 Ohio State 41-14 in the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game.

"We proved to the country that we belong, that we can play with anybody," said Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier.

Boise State (13-0), which plays in the Western Athletic Conference, finished the season fifth in the Associated Press poll and sixth in the USA Today Coaches poll. The position was better than traditional powers Michigan, Auburn, Texas, Notre Dame and Tennessee.

Even before Florida upset the Buckeyes, Bleymaier said the Broncos had accepted their fate.

Boise State became only the second school from a non-BCS conference to play in one of the lucrative bowls.

"We understood that we were not going to get a chance," he said. "We'd like that opportunity like everybody would. If there was the Plus-One model, maybe that would have happened."

The Plus-One model involves the top four teams seeded in two of the BCS bowls.

The winners would play one week later for the national championship.

With no unbeaten national champion, there likely will be a renewed call for a playoff system in major college football. There were four one-loss teams — Florida, Ohio State, Louisville and Wisconsin.

"There are probably five, six, seven great football teams in this country, and there is one way to figure out who the better team is and that's to go play the game," Florida coach Urban Meyer said.

BCS coordinator Mike Slive said this week he remains "very open-minded" about the addition of a Plus-One game, which could create a four-team playoff.

Any change to the BCS format could not occur until after the 2010 bowls when Fox's four-year, $320 million television contract ends.

Slive said the Plus-One game will be on the agenda at the BCS spring meetings in New Orleans.

Most of the 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame have indicated they would be willing to discuss the format.

"I think we need to take a very hard look at that," Slive told the Football Writers Association of America. "The vast majority of us said that we're open to talking about it.

"That's an invitation to have a serious conversation."

Mulderator

Deke40 said:
Would this work?

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - The Florida Gators went to bed early Tuesday morning as national champions.

Hundreds of miles away, the Boise State Broncos woke up a few hours later with the best record in America.

The Gators get to take home the crystal Bowl Championship Series trophy.

The Broncos will have to settle for a Top-10 final ranking and the distinction of being the only team without a loss in Division I-A after the Gators dismantled then-No. 1 Ohio State 41-14 in the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game.

"We proved to the country that we belong, that we can play with anybody," said Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier.

Boise State (13-0), which plays in the Western Athletic Conference, finished the season fifth in the Associated Press poll and sixth in the USA Today Coaches poll. The position was better than traditional powers Michigan, Auburn, Texas, Notre Dame and Tennessee.

Even before Florida upset the Buckeyes, Bleymaier said the Broncos had accepted their fate.

Boise State became only the second school from a non-BCS conference to play in one of the lucrative bowls.

"We understood that we were not going to get a chance," he said. "We'd like that opportunity like everybody would. If there was the Plus-One model, maybe that would have happened."

The Plus-One model involves the top four teams seeded in two of the BCS bowls.

The winners would play one week later for the national championship.

With no unbeaten national champion, there likely will be a renewed call for a playoff system in major college football. There were four one-loss teams — Florida, Ohio State, Louisville and Wisconsin.

"There are probably five, six, seven great football teams in this country, and there is one way to figure out who the better team is and that's to go play the game," Florida coach Urban Meyer said.

BCS coordinator Mike Slive said this week he remains "very open-minded" about the addition of a Plus-One game, which could create a four-team playoff.

Any change to the BCS format could not occur until after the 2010 bowls when Fox's four-year, $320 million television contract ends.

Slive said the Plus-One game will be on the agenda at the BCS spring meetings in New Orleans.

Most of the 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame have indicated they would be willing to discuss the format.

"I think we need to take a very hard look at that," Slive told the Football Writers Association of America. "The vast majority of us said that we're open to talking about it.

"That's an invitation to have a serious conversation."
Its better than the current BCS, but still not a good solution--there is too much "parity" now in college football. Remember USC was ranked 5th before the Michigan game, which under that proposal would have left them out in the cold with Michigan, OSU, Florida and I forget who was ranked 4th playing for the National Title. And of course, Boise State would not have had a shot either. But the point is they would not have had a shot at the title nor would some of the other top teams with 1 loss. I think you need at least 8, ideally 16.

valis

IMO, I think that they are priming us for a playoff system; this year, the last game was on the 8th; they could push it back to the 15th and have the top 8 playoff on the 1st, 8th, and 15th. Or even the 25th, 1st, and 8th.......regardless, 51 days is waaaaay to long for a team to be idle for a championship game.

smooth

Garrett
I think that a 16 team playoff would be great :D(y)

I heard on ESPN radio that we may see a +1 system (4 team playoff) by 2010, since that is when Fox's contract for having the BCS games end.

I think the 16 team playoff, and not having 50 days to wait for the championship (in OSU's case) would be a great solution. Still could use bowl game names they have now, just have them being a playoff game :D

Mulderator

valis said:
IMO, I think that they are priming us for a playoff system; this year, the last game was on the 8th; they could push it back to the 15th and have the top 8 playoff on the 1st, 8th, and 15th. Or even the 25th, 1st, and 8th.......regardless, 51 days is waaaaay to long for a team to be idle for a championship game.
They wouldn't do it on those dates because of Pro-football. The should do it in the month of December. Remember the Pros start televising Saturday games precisely because there is not college football--so keep the Pro games on Sunday--let college play on Friday nights and Saturdays during December with the final game in January before the Pro playoffs heat up. There is plenty of time--4 weeks between the final games and New years. 4 weeks is what you need for 16 teams.

smooth

Garrett
Mulder said:
They wouldn't do it on those dates because of Pro-football. The should do it in the month of December. Remember the Pros start televising Saturday games precisely because there is not college football--so keep the Pro games on Sunday--let college play on Friday nights and Saturdays during December with the final game in January before the Pro playoffs heat up. There is plenty of time--4 weeks between the final games and New years. 4 weeks is what you need for 16 teams.
:D(y)

valis

Mulder said:
sounds good to me. I"ll vote for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online