1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

National Sweepstakes of America (SCAM or LEGIT)

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Broly, Aug 18, 2009.

Advertisement
  1. Broly

Broly Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Has anybody heard anything about "The National Sweepstakes of America"? My grandmother has been receiving all kinds of calls in the past few days from all kinds of people stating that she has won some like 450,000 dollars. She even got a call from someone claiming that they were from The Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes and that they would be there the next day to deliver her check for 491,000. Needless to say they were no shows.

But this people from The National Sweepstakes of America 1-866-978-7296 say that my grandmother needs to pay Fed Ex or UPS 311 dollars to ship her money from where ever it is to where she is. This all sounds like a scam huh?

Most of the calls are coming from this guy named SEAN WILLIS (917) 934-3332 who claims to work for "The National Constitution Center", which is supposedly a government organization that governs and controls all lottery and sweepstakes winnings.

Has anyone dealt with this before or know anything about this?

Thanks

2. katonca

katonca

I think it's a scam. I googled National Sweepstakes of America, someone else had the same situation. I think I'd tell Mr. Willis to deduct the $311 from my winnings and send a check (y)

http://yedda.com/questions/Scams_Righteous_862998119173507/

http://insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2005/august/25/nac05.htm

Good luck to your grandmother.

3. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

4. izme

izme

If it seems too good to be true..run like a jack rabbit with 22 rounds hitting the dirt around it ;)

5. Broly

Broly Thread Starter

LOL! I feel you. But I just can't help but to think that she has won something. Maybe these people that have been calling know that she has won something and they are trying to cash in on it. I've heard of stuff like this through e-mail, but this phone stuff to old people is a new one on me. I wish it was a way I could do something to can these dirt bags.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I had someone call from "The National Sweepstakes Redemption Center" that asked for me or my wife by name. I told him that I was not interested in what he had to say. He said that it was not a sales call and that I was selected as a winner. He hung up when I asked him if he knew that our number was registered on the National Do Not Call list.

The weird part is that I answered the call on a phone that does not show Caller ID. I checked our caller ID box a little bit later and it did not show any record of the call coming in at all.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

My vote is for SCAM!

8. joferder

joferder

This is definitely a scam. It's one thing that she would have won the prize and they were calling to let her know (usually a scam anyway) but the fact that they are telling her that she needs to pay FedEx $311 is really the tip off. There is no way that it would cost that much to ship a check through any carrier, even if it was that huge cardboard check. If they were to send it through UPS or Fedex I would think that it would cost somewhere between $5-10. Even sending it certified mail through the post office wouldn't cost that much. I would definitely tell your grandma not to give them any information. It might even be helpful to contact the phone company and see if they can block the calls or contact the police to see if there is anything that they can do or would suggest doing.

9. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

Good Read Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853438