1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NAV 2003 & System Restore (WIN Me)

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by crispy, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

I installed NAV 2003 at the end of last year and have been quite happy with it, until last weekend.

I decided to do a System Restore after running a video edit program for a few days, and having a few graphics problems. The Restore went well until I restarted the machine and NAV informed me that AutoProtect could not be started.

I guessed that the last virus updates had been rolled back out, and ran the NAV LiveUpdate to get things back on track. More than 5Mb of downloads later (on a dial-up modem connection) I restarted the computer to find that nothing had improved, NAV still wouldn't run. I checked the Symantec site to see if I could find an answer, and it seems they are aware of a problem with NAV 2003 and System Restore. They suggest an uninstall of NAV followed by a few manual Registry adjustments and a reinstall of NAV. This obviously required another run of Live Update and a further 2.5 Mb download.

Things now seem to be working well, but I shall think twice about using System Restore again. The older version of NAV that I had before had always coped well with restores, it seems that Symantec have taken a backward step. :mad:

Chris P

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chris
    Actually Norton has had this problem throughout its generations of NAV Engines. System Restore is and can be a life saver so do not be afraid to use if required. You have used it many time in the past and have never encountered this problem till now so mark yourself lucky. Early on I was unnstalling and reinstalling regularily because many of the WinME machines exhibited these problems after Restore. Norton recognized this problem and created a tool for repairing the mismatch. Read This Thread for more information.

Dave

3. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and thread link Dave, believe it or not I did actually do a search before posting my message. I obviously used the wrong words :D

I shall be heading off to the Symantec site to check out the mentioned program. The crazy thing is why Symantec don't fix the problem in one of their many updates, it can only be a flag or a date being set incorrectly, surely.

All the best,
    Chris

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice