NAV 2005 Installation Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Hi all!

A friend of mine is trying to install NAV 2005 on her Windows 98 computer. She got as far as entering the product code and clicked on "next." At that point nothing happened. She waited a half hour, then finally clicked on "cancel." She removed the CD, then went to Start > Run > %temp% and deleted the files in there, then emptied the recycle bin, rebooted, and tried to run the CD installation again. She got as far as the product key boxes again, but this time when she entered the product key, the "next" button stayed greyed out. She checked that the had the number correct, and tried it again, but the installation would not let her click on the "next" button.

Any ideas as to what she could do to continue with the installation?

Make sure the game has been fully removed. Check the Add/Remove programs for any NAV 2005 listings. Also check for any folders listed in the program files that were left behind.

If that doesn't work then you might try 'Your Uninstaller'. You can download a trial version. It does a much better job at uninstalling applications then windows as it deletes registry keys that often get left behind.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Well, it isn't a game, it's Norton Antivirus 2005. I don't think there were any program files left, since the program never completed the installation. I do know that Norton's installation does hold some installation files temporarily in the Windows temp folder, which is why she deleted the Windows temp folder and the recycle bin and rebooted. But that did not help, she still is not allowed to press the "next" button after entering the product code (which is where the problem started initially.

It seems to be a problem with the Installer. If it is a legal version, get it replaced, but before doing that, try installing the same in some other computer so that you can be sure of the installer.

Although out of topic, but I would still recommend you not to installe NAV 2005 as it is a resource hogger and now a day if you opt for Live update, it will download the complete list of Virus defination all over again, ignoring weather or not your computer already has those definations. So this way you end up downloading about 10 MB defination every 3-4 days.

As an alternative, I would recommend you to install Kaspersky Anti Virus. Comparatevely, it is much lighter on resource, dounloads only the new definations which is released every day and as for the scanning result, it has been awarded as the best of all AV available today with a detection of 99.99% against 97% of NAV.

Did your friend have an earlier version of NAV installed? If so, that could be the problem because Symantec products seem to be very sensitive to any remains of earlier versions and, since they make hundreds of registry changes, the previous version will not be completely removed by using Add/Remove.

I assume you would have been told if any error messages were produced during the failed installation of 2005 because CD versions used to be able to detect and uninstall earlier ones automatically?

If an earlier version is involved, there are some tools available from Symantec which are supposed to complete the removal. The tool required depends on the version of NAV, 2003 or earlier requires Rnav 2003 (and possibly others), while 2004 onwards requires SymNRT. I can provide links to both if needed.

LauraMJ

Administrator
TOGG said:
Did your friend have an earlier version of NAV installed? If so, that could be the problem because Symantec products seem to be very sensitive to any remains of earlier versions and, since they make hundreds of registry changes, the previous version will not be completely removed by using Add/Remove.

I assume you would have been told if any error messages were produced during the failed installation of 2005 because CD versions used to be able to detect and uninstall earlier ones automatically?

If an earlier version is involved, there are some tools available from Symantec which are supposed to complete the removal. The tool required depends on the version of NAV, 2003 or earlier requires Rnav 2003 (and possibly others), while 2004 onwards requires SymNRT. I can provide links to both if needed.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. She had a version of 2005 installed on her computer. She had bought NAV 2006, but when she got home and read the instructions, she realized that the CD also contained 2005 on there, and that if a computer was running Windows 98, it would automatically install 2005 instead of 2006. 2006 only works with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Since it now costs $30.00 to renew a years subscription for the antivirus definitions (I remember when it was $10.00!!), and since with a rebate, she paid only $20.00 for this CD, she decided to go ahead and remove the old 2005 and install the new 2005 that comes with a new subscription.

She did remove the old 2005 and did a search and could find no traces of it. Certainly, though, she could have missed something, but from what I understand, the newer versions of NAV, such 2005, were much better at removing themselves. It did take several minutes to do the uninstall.

I once saw a list of the changes a NAV installation had made to someones computer and it ran to literally hundreds of entries so, unless your friend has run a Registry cleaner or done a thorough manual edit, there may still be something left behind.

Having said that, the CD should have removed everything necessary, assuming it got far enough into the process to finish the job.

Perhaps your friend should have a look at SymNRTand see what she thinks about using it. There currently should be nothing installed that can't be removed, so any risks involved in using this tool would seem to be slight, although your friend is the only one who can decide that; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

LauraMJ

Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I talked her into not installing Nortons and to instead install AVG, since her computer does not have a great deal of resources. She says that it now runs a LOT faster and it's free, and she is quite happy now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online